CoinPeople.com

Banknote Database

MMMM

I keep the following list of fields in an Excel spreadsheet for my collection:

Country, Pick, Alt Catalog, Denom, Description, Date, Serial #, Cat, Paid, Cond, From, Purch Date, Notes

As far as serial numbers, I don't think any of the countries I collect have "non-english" serial numbers, so I haven't run into the issue.

Unfortunately I have to maintain a separate but rather parallel structure for the notes I put on my web site. It's an xml file here, and has quite different fields needed more for catalog type info about each note.

I've pondered merging the two into a single file, but that may be more trouble than its worth.

Dave

One thing I record are serial numbers; however, many are not in english. Do you convert the numbers to english or leave them in the original language?

I keep the following list of fields in an Excel spreadsheet for my collection: Country, Pick, Alt Catalog, Denom, Description, Date, Serial #, Cat, Paid, Cond, From, Purch Date, Notes.

If you could create the numerals in native scripts - and read them yourself, of course - that would be way cool! Even so, the Standard Catalog of World Coins and online resources, as well, of course, give tables for conversions from non-"Arabic" numerals to Arabic. (What you call "English.")

Here in the USA, collectors of modern US Federal Reserve Notes may record plate and position numbers and letters. Signatures are commonly identifiers, but that points back to the Pick Numbers (or other Catalog).

If you start with an Excel spreadsheet, and catalog your own collection for your own needs, you will know soon enough what is important to you.

Hi!

I use Collection studio ( http://www.collectionstudio.com/en/ ) and it's very good.

There are lot of fields for input, but I use almost exactly those which Dave M said.

Also, I'm working on a banknotes collection site myself, where I add other stuff beside banknotes:

I have some country info (religious and ethnic groups, population and area statistics, official languages, capitals, currency), pics (map, coat of arms, flag, pictures from those countries), and other stuff (detailed description of each banknote - people, scenery, animals...).

You can see it here, but it's in croatian :)

http://www.world-banknotes.tk/

I'm trying to collect 3 banknotes from each country of the world for a start.

Thank you Dave M. and Mmarotta

@Dave M.

Yes, I do not think it would be easy to make the XML match the excel. But you could see how close it comes if you Save your Excel as an "XML". I tried it with your fields and it does not look very good compared to your XML. So I think you are stuck with two separate lists.

@mmarotta

I have enabled many of the language fonts for the "non-english" serial numbers. I still have a bit of trouble finding matches with all the variations, especially in the Middle East were numbers are similar but letters can be very different. And of course the drawback with enabling the fonts is that the others will not see the font properly without the font enabled on their system. But that should be ok. I do not share my database too often.

• 1 month later...

The other software you can use is Compass Collectables..(www.compasscollectables.com). Which has many of the fields that you need. Its very good to list the notes and you can use scanned pictures of back and front

Thank you, I know how to use MS Access so I have already created a database that does what Compass does. In fact, as a DBA, I even have a SQL version of the database. Compass Collectables is a great app if you do not know Access that well. They did a realy great job with it.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you, I know how to use MS Access so I have already created a database that does what Compass does. In fact, as a DBA, I even have a SQL version of the database. Compass Collectables is a great app if you do not know Access that well. They did a realy great job with it.

MMMM, access may store the fields, but it is a long shot from being able to do all Compass Collectables does. Compass Collectables will take your collection and let you create a web site without any re-entry of you details. It is also a lot easier to use than access not to mention cheaper. It can also do a lot of other bits and pieces that access can not do.

Archived