CoinPeople.com

Information Request: Romanov coinage matters

nicholasz219

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there were any books/articles concerning Romanov monetary policies in connection with political and financial circumstances of the time?

I am contemplating putting together a project but I need to know if a) this information exists, B) if it exists in English, specifically, and c) how accessible it all is.

If anyone has any links or references, please contact me or post a reply here.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there were any books/articles concerning Romanov monetary policies in connection with political and financial circumstances of the time?

I am contemplating putting together a project but I need to know if a) this information exists, B) if it exists in English, specifically, and c) how accessible it all is.

If anyone has any links or references, please contact me or post a reply here.

Thanks,

Nick

The Uzdenikov reference includes a brief chapter right after the introduction (his work is in English and Russian). Most other references will usually include general information of this nature, perhaps with a list of other works which could be consulted as well for more detailed information.

Also, a general history book about Russia in the Tsarist period should have some information you could use.

The policies of each Tsar are probably covered in greatest detail in the Corpus of the Grand Duke Georgi Mikhailovich (GDM), but it has not been translated into English yet (although there is a forum project to accomplish this.)

Good luck! :art:

In addition to that, you might want to look at the forword of the Kazakov's catalogue that is in two languages (Russian and English). It describes the monetary policy during the NII reign, but only that period.

Several books were published lately in Russian that discuss several periods of the 18-19th centuries (such as the books by Aksenova and Zhilkin, 2008 and 2010; Prokhorova 2008) and you would probably find them useful but, alas, they are in Russian.

Yes, I am aware that the problems with this project will be mostly one of access to information. *Sigh*

I just read a general history of Nicholas II and there was a remarkable absence of economic issues besides mention of the strikes 1905 and later. I guess I will have to look at major weight/composition changes in the coinage and then correlate these changes to events in a general history book.

Archived