CoinPeople.com

76 pieces 5 gold coins of Nicholas II in ONE lot

one-kuna

I forgot when was the last time I saw so many gold coins in one lot in high conditions :bhyper:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=3012&Lot_No=25428

I remember two or three years ago seeing a tube of about 20 gold 7-1/2 rouble coins at the UBS stand at the yearly coin show in Zurich/Oerlikon. They were all in VF/XF condition, and they were selling them for CHF 500 each. I thought the price was way too high for the condition. Even today, I wouldn't spend that much for them.

In 1955 I paid $4.25 for a 5 rouble piece of 1902 in BU. I could have easily purchased

a thousand pieces from this source as they were plentiful in those days.

Interesting ... was this before or after the "Nordic hoard" was discovered? And was the source in Europe or USSR? (it was still illegal for U.S. citizens to own or purchase gold at that time, IIRC.)

Those would have been classed as "collectable" coins since they were dated in the early 20th century. BTW it was not illegal for citizens to own gold coins - that is a misconception - they could legally own up to $100 face value as long as the coins were deemed "collectable". The rules were relaxed seemingly a bit in the 1950's and Americans were buying 1957 sovereigns etc, but then the govt clamped down again ca. 1962 making it illegal to collect coins struck after 1959. Of course we all know that didn't stop collectors from snapping up the Canadian $20's from 1967 in droves.

Frankly IMHO if the government makes something like that illegal to own, it drives a lot of people to desire to own it.

Interesting ... was this before or after the "Nordic hoard" was discovered? And was the source in Europe or USSR? (it was still illegal for U.S. citizens to own or purchase gold at that time, IIRC.)

Not sure when the Nordic hoard was actually released. The general belief at the time,

however, was that these 5 rouble pieces were coming from Swiss banks. I saw very

large piles of them (hundreds of pieces in some cases) at major coin shows.

Archived