CoinPeople.com

Foreign Coins Minted in US

micmar

I am interested in any information about Foreign Coins Minted in the United States, more specifically at the Denver Mint in 1959. These are the countries that I located via Foreign Coins Manufactured at US Mints Tim Ziebarth March 2006; Haiti, El Salvador, Liberia, Panama, and Phillipines Republic. There may be more that I am not aware of. If anyone has any photos and/or decriptions of any of these type coins and doesnt mind sharing it with me it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

There's some info below which you may have already found. For the publications, you might try your local libraries or some of the online libraries which may have scanned copies that you can read or scan yourself. You can also contact (pm) Mike Marotta at CoinTalk who wrote this article:

http://www.coin-newbies.com/articles/foreign_coins.html

There is this site as well:

http://www.pdxcoinclub.org/articles/Foreign%20Coins%20Struck%20at%20US%20Mints%20CWNA%20article%20with%20table.pdf

And the publications of interest:

Domestic and Foreign Coins Manufactured by Mints of the United States 1793-1980, published by Department of the Treasury, Bureau of the Mint, 1981

Foreign Coins struck at United States Mints by Charles G. Altz and E. H. Barton, published by Whitman Publishing Company, 1965

Good luck!

You might also want to contact Mike Diamond (Pres. of CONECA) who is the authority on error coins along with Ken Potter who is also a member there (you might have to register):

http://board.conecaonline.org/index.php

The Philadelphia mint produced about half of Canada's 1968 nickel dimes (around 85 million). 1968 was the changeover year for the last of Canada's coinage going from silver to nickel, and the mint was too busy to be able to mint all the new coinage that was needed. The only way to tell the difference between them is in the reeding. The Philly mint dimes have squared off groves, the Canadian minted dimes' reeding is V-shaped in the crevices.

The last foreign coin minted by the US mint, and only as an exception to the rule, was the Icelandic commemorative for Leif Ericcson that was part of a joint issue with the US when the latter also issued a $1 commemorative coin. This was in 2000 I believe. In the past 35 or so years the mint has not contracted out to foreign governments because of demand in the USA for coinage - at least that is the party line. Maybe with demand for coins in the USA at recent lows they might want to reconsider.

... You can also contact (pm) Mike Marotta at CoinTalk ...

Domestic and Foreign Coins Manufactured by Mints of the United States 1793-1980, published by Department of the Treasury, Bureau of the Mint, 1981

Mike Marotta visits here, also. Your citation to the Treasury book is correct and micmar can have his local librarian get it via InterLibrary Loan.

And... to answer the question: I am interested in any information about Foreign Coins Minted in the United States, more specifically at the Denver Mint in 1959.

The answer is NONE. No foreign coins were made at the Denver Mint in 1959.

I could be wrong, but I have the 1972 edition of that Treasury Department book, and I went from A to Z by year and found nothing for 1959 for Denver.

I tried to track that article by Tim Ziebarth, but I am not sure where it originated. The PDX (Portland-Willamette Coin Club) only linked to the article. It did not come from their own newsletter. Tim Ziebarth is/was the newsletter editor for the Colorado-Wyoming Numismatic Association ("Frontrange Coin Club") and the contact person for the Bloomfield Colorado Coin Club, but those links are broken.

I'm not so sure of the 35 year hiatus for the US Mint, as I am pretty sure they were minting small denomination copper nickel coins for Panama up until 1982.

I had read that they had stopped ca. 1975 minting the Panamanian coins, and then afterwards only the Franklin Mint produced a bunch of NCLT garbage for sets and that some of them slipped into circulation. All the Panamanian coins I have gotten in change are either 1960's, 1970's or 1990's on up. Crazily enough I get them from time to time, even living in the North of the USA.

Archived