CoinPeople.com

Mystery 10 Kopeck

nicholasz219

Hello All:

I was playing cards the other day and noticed a player using a card protector that looked suspiciously familiar.

There was a diagonally reeded edge on a thick copper planchet. There was a heraldic Russian eagle surrounded by about ten stars. I asked the person if he could turn over the coin to see the other side. When he did, 10 Kopeck and 1796 on the obverse.

I have never seen a 10 Kopeck piece such as this and I asked him if it was a 10 Kopeck piece and he said yes. He left shortly after that so I didn't get a chance to really find anything out about it.

I had never seen anything like it. Is this a fantasy piece?

Thanks,

Nick

No Alex,

He said about "eagle" so dif. type..I know which one but this is fantasy...

If I find picture will post

Yes I remember having seen that phantasy piece on eBay. 10 kopek 1796 but showing the eagle of the 10 kopek 1762.

A pretty ugly modern fake. :yuk:

Sigi

Well, I really didn't think it was real because it didn't make sense from what I know of the series of coins from that time. The design was unusual enough that it stuck in my head and made me ask the person what the other side looked like. But then I remembered that the coin should have either been a piece of Elizabeth II like posted above or a silver 10 K piece. So it was very confusing.

I admit to getting briefly excited at the sight of what *might* be a Russian coin sitting next to me in the most unusual of circumstances: a poker room. It would be like getting Paul I copper in change at McDonalds. It shouldn't be there, so you don't expect it which makes it even more interesting to see it when it pops up.

If anyone can post any information on what this fantasy piece might be, I'd like to learn more.

Thanks,

Nick

Yes I remember having seen that phantasy piece on eBay. 10 kopek 1796 but showing the eagle of the 10 kopek 1762.

A pretty ugly modern fake. :yuk:

Sigi

Here's one from my records:

eBay Item 2222999092

Sold Feb 10 2004. Price: $38. Winning bidder elenaussr. Seller mishelev.

:art:

Steve

That doesn't seem to be a very high selling price for a novodel. I am also surprised that this is the first time I am seeing one of these coins, either in person or on ebay/internet. Considering how low the price was for the listing that you mention, Steve, you would think that the price implies relative commonality and that I should see these coins much more frequently. Strange.

That doesn't seem to be a very high selling price for a novodel. I am also surprised that this is the first time I am seeing one of these coins, either in person or on ebay/internet. Considering how low the price was for the listing that you mention, Steve, you would think that the price implies relative commonality and that I should see these coins much more frequently. Strange.

Your first instinct is right; it's not a Novodel. The price is reflective of the fact that it's a cheap piece of junk. I wouldn't pay $38 for it. I have images of others, much the same. Uzdenikov 2910 is the real article and is extremely rare.

:art:

Steve

So, I guess I shouldn't have immediately offered to pay $500 for the one I saw, right? :(

Just kidding.

I actually like the design a lot. I think the ten stars on the reverse indicating the value is a nice design element.

• 3 months later...

Archived