CoinPeople.com

Bombay peace medal 1918

I've just received this medallion:

"Presented by the citizens of Bombay 23rd Nov 1918 to the troops of the defended port. In commemoration of the signing of the armistice. 1914-18"

I love the obverse, but can't find anything regarding engraver or number minted.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks

bombay.jpg

bombay1.jpg

Similarly ignorant. The world has so many medals, perhaps a million types in all, hard to say... Something like this would require research, of course.

Is there anything on the rim? That might help.

Also, do my old eyes deceive me, or is that a Bengal Tiger with Britannia, whose usual companion is a Lion?

(Nice of the troops to defend the port, and all, but did anyone actually attack it? And is it not interesting what you can buy for 270 million US Silver Dollars? All of India, apparently!)

The good people of the Indian Military History Society have given me the following:

See Robert Puddester "Medals of British India" Volume 1, London: Spink, 2002 (ISBN 1 902040 50 3) number 918.2.1 for this medal plus 918.1 - Lord Willingdon's Medal for Good Recruiting Work (Identical obverse). You might also be interested in 918.2.2 - Bombay Peace Medal - Sailors; and 918.2.3 - Bombay Police Medal - Police (both with the same obverse but different from that on your medal). Yours was not found in the die impressions of the Bombay Mint but was almost certainly struck there.

Now, long shot.

Does anyone have access to this book?

Archived