CoinPeople.com

How to insure expensive coins when shipping to NGC from Canada.

kopeikin

I wanted to ship a few expensive coins to NGC for grading. The value is a few thousand dollars. Can someone advise how to do this safely? I inquired in Canada Post – they insure collectible coins up to $500 only. FedEx and UPS are same as Canada Post – they will protect coins up to $500 per carriage. On the top of that if I declare multi-thousand dollar coins value on the Customs declaration, the package will be detained by US Customs for applying import taxes. So I just see problems and problems. May be I should scrap the whole idea of shipping coins to NGC? Can anyone suggest some solution here?

Just doing a quick look at Canada Post I can see that they have changed their regulations and significantly lowered their coverage. It used to be C$25.000 per shipment. Says something about how they trust, well rather distrust, their employees.

Just as a suggestion I would contact NGC directly and ask them for a recommendation - they may have some private insured carrier that will handle the shipment via FEDEX or UPS.

It may be easiest to contact local dealers - TO being a large city, there's likely a dealer who can submit on your behalf. It'd likely cost more, though.

Believe it or not but there are very few coin dealers with fixed store location left in Toronto. Apparently eBay routed them out.

Archived