CoinPeople.com

Recommend a book about French Medals

Your post asks for coin references, but the heading says medals,

so hold on to your hat; 'cos from here on it's */&%^ expensive. And only available in French.

La médaille française au XIXe siècle et l’Histoire Pub. 1989

La médaille française et l’histoire de la Guerre de 1870-1871.Pub. 1995

Both by: Jean-Pierre COLLIGNON

L’essor de la Médaille aux XIXe et XXe siècles Pub. 2003

By: B. COULLARE

Portraits en Medaille Pub. 1946

By: Jean Babelon. Out of print

MÉDAILLES DE NAPOLÉON III – Catalogue des principales médailles historiques émises sous la Présidence de Louis Napoléon Bonaprte et sous la règne de Napoléon III (1848-1870). Pub. 2001

By: J. P. DIVO

http://www.archive.org/

is a good place to look for rare and out of print books. Also old catalogues.

Your post asks for coin references, but the heading says medals,

so hold on to your hat; 'cos from here on it's */&%^ expensive. And only available in French.

La médaille française au XIXe siècle et l’Histoire Pub. 1989

La médaille française et l’histoire de la Guerre de 1870-1871.Pub. 1995

Both by: Jean-Pierre COLLIGNON

L’essor de la Médaille aux XIXe et XXe siècles Pub. 2003

By: B. COULLARE

Portraits en Medaille Pub. 1946

By: Jean Babelon. Out of print

MÉDAILLES DE NAPOLÉON III – Catalogue des principales médailles historiques émises sous la Présidence de Louis Napoléon Bonaprte et sous la règne de Napoléon III (1848-1870). Pub. 2001

By: J. P. DIVO

http://www.archive.org/

is a good place to look for rare and out of print books. Also old catalogues.

bagerap - you are the best! And I corrected coins to medals, thanks

One thing I learned early...if you can't afford the necessary reference books in order to collect medals than it is likely that you can't afford the medals either...

I actually disagree, i can get many different french medals but i do not know much about what i buy

i am not planning to buy a medal which is unique and very expensive

I have to agree with Goetzdude on this. If I didn't have the references it would be difficult to tell if something was rare or in the period I'm interested in. I've picked up many rarities as a result of studying the books, many of them very cheap; simply because I possessed knowledge that other collectors didn't.

That said, everyone has their own approach to collecting. Goetzdude has amassed arguably the definitive collection of Geotz's works... :)

One can collect for awhile without books, but if you want to get serious you need books. At the very least, join the ANA and use the library. I reference my personal library (300 plus volumes) virtually every day and I supplement that with borrowing through the ANA.

300+! Wow! How long did it take you?

I've been collecting 48 years. I've been buying books for my library for 47 years. Some new, some in used book stores, some on the web, some in auctions. I buy things for what I collect, for what has interesting information, for what I might collect, and others because they are great books.

Plain and simple...Knowledge is Power.

I've spent thousands on books and those thousands have been repaid in multiples by giving me the extra edge to see and collect what others can't.

Now I only wish I had a German Fairy to sit on my shoulder and translate German text for me...

If you have any specific medals you need to know about, let me know. I've got heaps of note books full of stuff I've researched over the last few decades.

Can you shed some light on the French medal that I use as my avatar?

All that I know is that it is silver and from around 1920. The reverse is ornate with a blank space for an inscription. I bought in on eBay for $30 from a woman in Belgium. I'm guessing it was a general purpose medal for all sorts of competitions.

I just like how it looks.

Oh hiho, what have you done to me? Years of notes to scan!

Marianne is of course the most iconic figure in French art; and possibly the most represented in the Art Deco period. In particular, after the First World War, there was a strong surge of patriotism/nationalism present in France and many representations of Marianne were produced with the martial helmet; often surmounted by the coq.

Your avatar is slightly less usual in that it faces right. It resembles work by the following sculptors/engravers.

Rasumny

Bonneford

Roty

Rivet.

The latter has produced Marianne in this style and, crucially, facing right.

THe worst thing is that I am sure that I have handled the very medallion bearing your avatar, but can't remember where. Only that it was recently.

More news ( hopefully ) to follow

• 3 weeks later...

hiho, I was certain that I'd seen and probably handled your avatar before. The only difference being that it's a mirror image on a medal.

This link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330492819020&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

should take you to one for sale with a whole host of images, and I'm certain that I can find the artist's name very shortly.

hiho, I was certain that I'd seen and probably handled your avatar before. The only difference being that it's a mirror image on a medal.

This link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330492819020&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

should take you to one for sale with a whole host of images, and I'm certain that I can find the artist's name very shortly.

Good eyes!

While the obverse is exactly the same as my medal (I flipped it in Photoshop so it would face right) it has a different reverse and it is much larger. I believe mine is about 38mm while the one on eBay is 68mm. Also mine is silver while this medal is silver plated bronze. Both have the initials ER on the obverse. Who is ER?

I bid on it but seeing that I am putting a new roof on my house tomorrow for $6000 my resources will be extremely limited for awhile.

Regardless, a million thanks for the heads up Bob.

• 3 months later...

Returning to the same question I asked when started this topic. Any book about french medals except of www.french-medallic-art.com? I was looking for anything in Google, on Amazon, Amazon.fr, Ebay.fr but still nothing. The (names of the) books that people replied in this topic are impossible to find/buy. I do not want to fly to Paris to purchase them so this option is out. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Archived