CoinPeople.com

The slow times

thedeadpoint

I try to go to a big coin show one or two times a year. Sometimes those are my only additions to my collection. So I have lots of downtime between additions and I need to keep my coin/note collecting bug fed. I'm on this website several times a day EVERY DAY I'm online. I like to pick up an issue of Coinage or Coin World at the bookstore. I surf Heritage for eye candy occasionally. I look at news feeds once every few weeks. I pick up a book on coins or notes and just look at the eye candy or mintages, etc. Rarely but still occasionally I get to a store and browse.

What do you do during collecting downtimes to feed your bug?

I'm in the same boat, my tastes have turned expensive and that doesn't allow me to make many purchases anymore.

I have some ebay searches that I scan about once a week, I've gotten pretty fast and skimming through the junk ;) I'll occasionally make some impulse buys on the bay if I haven't bought anything in the last month or two. Or I'll go to the local dealer and pick up $3-5 worth of stuff out of the junk bins. Only rarely are there ever some new interesting pieces under the glass. I'll pick up the latest Canadian Coin News a few times a year, it's usually a good read. And of course I am constantly browsing this forum :)

Buy penny boxes at the bank, sifting out all the bronzes, and hoping for scores like the 1912-D I found last week. It takes me back to the bottom feeding part of coin collecting, but it has a lot more excitement than buying something because this is just luck of the draw. The 1901 Indian found back in May has been the oldest so far, but I have also found early semi-key dates and mintmarks.

You just have to move to a place where there are many, many coin shows and coin stores. For example by me there is 4 coin shows a Month, every Month, all year long. And regardless of Holidays the show must go on. All of those are within 15 miles of my house. There are many more but much farther away. I have no idea of how many coin stores or hobby stores that carry coins around me but there are many, many of those too.

And if your bored, we also have many gun shows, knife shows, dog or cat shows, computer shows, card shows, car shows and on and on and on. There are parades for almost any and everything around here. There was a parade down a street near me last Sunday and I have no idea what it was for. All Summer long there is a block party somewhere, carnivals and on and on and on with STUFF to do.

I only wish I had the money and health to do all of these things.

You just have to move to a large city.

Archived