CoinPeople.com

What do you think?

bobh

I must be very slow today. I can't make out the last digit of the date of the undercoin, but shouldn't it be 1796?

Yes, and I think it is. IgorS is right, the "3" is just missing the little curl at the bottom -- probably a filled die or something. Thinking more about it, it would probably be very difficult to get a result which was believable by tooling the undercoin details.

Yes, and I think it is. IgorS is right, the "3" is just missing the little curl at the bottom -- probably a filled die or something. Thinking more about it, it would probably be very difficult to get a result which was believable by tooling the undercoin details.

I see what you meant. But as IgorS pointed out this eagle comes only with Paul's overstrikes.

The digit "3" in the date looks wrong; although you CAN see traces of the "0" and of the earlier date, I think they were done later by tooling:

What do you think?

it is an obvious overstrike because of special eagle design cut for 1797 ovestriking program (not the 1788-1796 eagle) and can be noticable from far distance;

also this one is in poor condition - there are so many nice ones' :)

The digit "3" in the date looks wrong; although you CAN see traces of the "0" and of the earlier date, I think they were done later by tooling:

5 kopecks, 1793-EM (Paul overstrike???)

What do you think?

Hi Bob, the coin looks authentic to me - but doctored. Keep away, they come cheaper in nicer condition. ;) Sigi

Archived