CoinPeople.com

Interesting Note.. what is it

Tegwin

I am in the process of scanning in my bank notes, so that I have an electronic record of them and in doing so, I came across a note which I do not know anything about, its from Holland (I think) from the 30's . I assume this was the currency they had at at the time but cant seem to find any information on it... Can anyone Shed some light on the matter.

scan1009160003.jpg

Oh, a rough translation of the text:

"Wordt ter betaling aangenomen door de nederlandsche bank en aan alle rijkskantoren inwisselbaar in zilver na aankondiging"

Payment shall be made by the Netherland Central Bank and all government offices in exchanged for silver after publication.

I wonder if it is still valid.

Zilverbon is like a silver certificate. According to the catalog, these notes were issued n 1938 only and are issued in 1 (P61) and 2.50 (P62) guilders denominations. Though these were issued in 1938, the designs were from older issued and very similar to P12 (issued in 1918) and P15 (issued in 1920. Hope this helps!

Dutch small change notes (<5G) were usually issued as a temporary thing, and would be recalled not too long afterwards. I'm not too sure, but I believe that this type would had likely been called in shortly after WWII since there was the currency do-over in 1948.

Dutch small change notes (<5G) were usually issued as a temporary thing, and would be recalled not too long afterwards. I'm not too sure, but I believe that this type would had likely been called in shortly after WWII since there was the currency do-over in 1948.

They started recalling the earlier notes beginning in late 1945 in a purported effort to root out ill gotten savings from the Nazi occupation. Eventually all notes issued before 1945 were demonetised by Nederlands Bank. Denmark followed a similar pattern in late 1945 and early 1946, with a recall of currency exchanging for new.

Archived