CoinPeople.com

Unscannable Banknotes

MMMM

I was going to post the Chile 5000 Pesos from 2009, It is an interesting pink polymer note with and owl on the back. However, my scanner will not scan it because of security features. Does anyone have information on what special dye they use or is it a pattern that the scanner looks for?

I guess they are called "EURion constellations", the Circles on the note create the pattern which the scanner identifies.

The Central Bank of Chile does not mention them, nor have they updated their web site, but still it is nice Banco Central De Chile

I THINK ( at least in my case ) it's the software to recognize them, more than the scanner, since i can scan old banknotes (pre constellation) and i can scan latest notes with : 1) Windows 7 Scan & Fax tool, but then i need 2) GIMP to open them, Photoshop will stop me with a message.

ps: i have the most cheap of printer-scanners of a famous brand and i didnt update to the latest softwares (i suspect they want to gift me limitations)

I have an older HP scanner 4500 series that scans all notes with the exception of the 1930's and early 1940's Netherlands notes. For some reason the very fine multicolour ink patterns on those Joh Enschede en Zonen printed notes defeats my images and fills them full of moire patterns.

That said, the newer scanners have software built into them that thwarts imaging of a lot of paper money, primarily United States banknotes. The US Secret Service being concerned about scanners being used for making counterfeits is the primary driver behind this policy.

Archived