CoinPeople.com

possible lizy sixpence.

chris

hi everyone

just recieved an elizabeth 1st silver sixpence looks not good from the start but any input from yourselves would be greatful

thanks

the coin was bought from an ebayer who has sold quite a lot of good coins and had not sold this one as possible forgery

weight of coin is 2.5grams dated 1561

otherwise the coin is looking very nice and id really ove to keep it if its real or come to an arrangement with the seller if it aint

i have added photos of the front, back and edges of the coin

2010_05_21_16_00_50.733.jpg

I would say it is probably ok, 2.5 grams isnt out of the realms of possibility considering the clipping and wear and the surfaces look ok to me. The main reason I don't think it is a forgery though is it is too low a grade for someone making forgeries to make any real money out of it, unless it is a contemporary forgery. What exactly is it about the coin that is making you suspicious?

I would say it is probably ok, 2.5 grams isnt out of the realms of possibility considering the clipping and wear and the surfaces look ok to me. The main reason I don't think it is a forgery though is it is too low a grade for someone making forgeries to make any real money out of it, unless it is a contemporary forgery. What exactly is it about the coin that is making you suspicious?

hi Mat

im not sure but i thought that most hammered coins had a thin edge to them and this one seems to be squared off on some points

my second feeling is that on parts of the coin it seems to have a light green/yellow hue when tilted into the light, its not blotchy but ive never seen that on a hammered

it has still retained good fine details which does make me think would that have come out on a cast?

dont get me wrong the coin the coin looks nice and i dont mind a few forgeries for interest but i dont like to have them in part of my collection, itl bug me. lol

im not sure but i thought that most hammered coins had a thin edge to them and this one seems to be squared off on some points

Could the squared-off parts of the edge be places where coin was clipped?

Archived