CoinPeople.com

mint error 2000 quarter (Health)

ebro

Hi, I have just opened a roll I bought from a bank in 2000. I found this coin, I guess the error was on the blank before the pressing.

What would cause this kind of error ?

What is this type of error called ?

Is it common ?

Thanks

DSC07075.jpg

DSC07076.jpg

DSC07077.jpg

Looks like some sort of planchet defect. Errors like this from the RCM are uncommon, but not really too rare. On ebay certified as a mint error (as opposed to post-mint damage) I think it might fetch $150-200. As it is (raw) probably not more than $40 as people like some kind of guarantee that it was actually a mint error.

Looks like some sort of planchet defect. Errors like this from the RCM are uncommon, but not really too rare. On ebay certified as a mint error (as opposed to post-mint damage) I think it might fetch $150-200. As it is (raw) probably not more than $40 as people like some kind of guarantee that it was actually a mint error.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll hang on to it, its my first found coin with a significant error.

I'm actually surprised it made it's way into a roll, and out of the mint.

I have weighed it, 4.628g and compared to another quarter from the roll, 5.108g

As the weight is different, shouldn't it have been rejected ?

Is every quarter tested ?

Eric

Every quality assurance measure has some small degree of error. It looks like it was struck on what should have been rejected as scrap. No matter how careful one watches and how closely tuned the auto reject mechanisms, errors will occur. Nice find.

Archived