CoinPeople.com

what do mint rolls ussually grade?

subaqua99

Hi everyone..newbie here. I have recently come across numerous rolls of Canadian change still in the mint wrappers from the 90's Here's the question. Should I break open rolls and send to be graded. What would the 40 coins in a roll grade as. Would they all be Ms-65? Some ms-65? Just curious? trying to figure out what to do?

Also do coins ever sell at book value? Is there a general amount they sell for on average? Like say 50 % of book value when graded. 75% etc.

thanks fo the help i appreciate it

Definitely not worth the time or effort to grade most modern issue coins. Unless they are the low mintage 1991 quarters :ninja:

Lately on Ebay, even MS65 pennies and nickels from the late 60's and 70's, you're lucky to get $15 for them. Minus the cost of grading ($10 or more and ebay fee), even if you're sure it's an MS65+, it's barely worth it.

From the 1990's, it's hard to say what the average grade would be. Short answer I guess is that it doesn't matter too much ;)

Generally speaking a roll will average MS63 or so. (in my experience). As Kornholio suggests, it's not worth it. Even with older rolls where MS65 can command a significant premium (e.g. 1967 5c), opening a roll is like scratching a lotto ticket - you'll almost certainly end up with something of less value.

• 1 month later...
Generally speaking a roll will average MS63 or so. (in my experience). As Kornholio suggests, it's not worth it. Even with older rolls where MS65 can command a significant premium (e.g. 1967 5c), opening a roll is like scratching a lotto ticket - you'll almost certainly end up with something of less value.

Like the original poster, I have full shrink wrapped plastic rolls from 1992 (almost all provinces and territories) , as well as rolls from 2000 (millennium), again almost all rolls. Is it worth more as a shrink wrapped roll ?

(keeping in mind that the value for roll or single coin may never materialize in my lifetime, which will EVENTUALLY be worth more ?)

Thanks

Archived