CoinPeople.com

Cracking An NGC Slab That Has Prongs

Saor Alba

Never done this before with one of these edge view slabs, is there anything new to know about? I have some misgraded gold that I want to liberate but not damage. Is the white insert two pieces that fit together around the edges of the coin as I hope? I cannot see a seam, but I need glasses anyway.

Most of my "experience" cracking open slabs comes from liberating coins from older ANACS holders, plus one nasty looking PCGS holder. All were gold coins and none were damaged at all.

Here's the HiHo way.

Place the slab horizontally in a vise. Tighten slowly until you hear a crack. Continue to tighten slowly until you hear a second crack. Inspect the slab and continue to tighten slowly until you hear a third crack.

Remove the slab from the vise and take it to a well lit desk. Spread out a soft cloth, sit down and try and open the slab like you would a pistachio nut. It should be that easy.

NEVER tighten the slab until it "explodes" as the sharp plastic shards will aim for your face while the coin will invariably roll under the boiler.

And NEVER attempt this after a few drinks.

All that you will be doing is separating the outer plastic shell, the inner prongs should come out easily with the coin still intact.

The only slabs I have cracked are the PCGS ones, haven't the pleasure of liberating an NGC coin yet. This is one of those times I wish it was in the ACG slab, those things came apart in your hands without any pressure at all - instant disintegration.

I assure you that the NGC slabs are no harder to open than PCGS slabs. The same rules of physics apply.

I have never thought of you as a timid sort, this must be one heck of a nice coin.

As Nike says, JUST DO IT!

Told you it would be easy. It's like asking a girl out on a date. The first time it's scary.

Oh hell, the second time is scary too. :ninja: Especially if the girl is really pretty.

Told you it would be easy. It's like asking a girl out on a date. The first time it's scary.

Oh hell, the second time is scary too. :ninja: Especially if the girl is really pretty.

It was a lot more difficult than that three lettre slab that began with an A, those of which literally disintegrated in your paws whilst looking at them. The NGC slab was twisted betwixt two pairs of needle nose pliers - my main concern was not snapping the slab, but the prongs in the white insert and getting the coin out of them. But the insert is some sort of rubber abomination and the coin popped right out. Now I can image my golden Russian delight. The other stuff, the silver Ruble etc will stay in their slab. It is a nice BU coin and isn't tombed in those stupid prong things.

• 2 weeks later...

I've broken ANACS, PCGS, ICG, and NGC holders. ANACS's newest holders are popable, they can be taken apart by bare hands and persistence. The NGC holders I took apart had a rubber O-ring insert around the coin, the edgeviews sound similar. PCGS holders are like NGC holders. The ICG holder was splintered to liberate my MS66 Morgan. :ninja:

Archived