CoinPeople.com

2010 Coin of the Year

thedeadpoint

The contest and all the award winners here: http://www.coinnews.net/2010/01/16/latvia-...peoples-choice/

The winner:

Bank-of-Latvia-20-lati-gold-coin.jpg

Gotta say I like it! Check out the others. I'd post them here but I'm tired.

The new Coin of the Year topped the Best Gold category. It is a 20 lati issued by the Bank of Latvia. It marks the 15th anniversary of the renewal of the lats currency after Latvia regained independence from the old Soviet Union. The original design was created in 1922 by Teodors Zalkalns but never used.

You're right!

Sorry to suggest it, but to me it appears as though there was a good reason that design was rejected in 1922 and should have been overlooked again in 2009. :ninja:
Oh, I'm gonna have to disagree with your analysis there... I like this, it's simple and dramatic, something missing from a lot of modern issues.

Meanwhile, under the heading of 'scientific failures', what's up with that bimetallic coin with the green niobium center celebrating neon? Neon doesn't glow green! ;) They could've got at least a red, if a neon-like red-orange couldn't be produced. Didn't have to be exact, just close. That green belongs on radon!

Oh, I'm gonna have to disagree with your analysis there... I like this, it's simple and dramatic, something missing from a lot of modern issues.

Meanwhile, under the heading of 'scientific failures', what's up with that bimetallic coin with the green niobium center celebrating neon? Neon doesn't glow green! :ninja: They could've got at least a red, if a neon-like red-orange couldn't be produced. Didn't have to be exact, just close. That green belongs on radon!

I will respectfully disagree, with regards the Latvian coin, just look at the simple but striking 5 Lati coin from that era, one of my favourite Baltic region coins. And those Niobium coins - NCLT junque for Home Shopping Network IMHO

I will respectfully disagree, with regards the Latvian coin, just look at the simple but striking 5 Lati coin from that era, one of my favourite Baltic region coins. And those Niobium coins - NCLT junque for Home Shopping Network IMHO

Re: the Latvian coins -- fair enough. I like this 20 lati here better than the period 5 lati you mention, so it's probably safe to say we have quite different design preferences. :ninja:

Re: the niobium coins -- oh, so agreed here. Personally, I have trouble thinking of a piece that doesn't circulate as a coin -- to me they may as well be medals.

Maybe someone can answer this for me -- is there a reason the bullion coins have denominations stamped on them? I mean, it's not like any rational person is actually going to spend a silver eagle as an actual dollar, much less the gold or platinum issues. It does raise the interesting, if virtually impossible, question of whether one could actually do that if the bullion value drops below the face value...

Maybe someone can answer this for me -- is there a reason the bullion coins have denominations stamped on them? I

At least in the US, buying gold was outlawed thus bullion coins were as well...but buying gold as a numismatic item was still allowed...So if the coin is in the form of legal tender one can always say you are buying the coin as a collector. As for all other nations, not sure but if they wanted to sell gold to US buyers at the time, they had to take the form of a coin.

AFAIK,

The first coin marked as being a bullion piece: Mexico silver 1-onza, 1949

Historically, ducats and dinars were both common "bullion" coins.

In the later Roman empire (Constantine and later), the coinage was virtually all small bronze/copper coins, with silver and gold pieces trading at the prevailing spot price.

Archived