CoinPeople.com

PCGS Photograde

thedeadpoint

Too cool to post in the Coins in the News forum.

http://www.pcgs.com/Photograde/

Wow. Maybe there's a better site out there that does this, but I'm still awed and impressed. If I want to get good photogrades for a specific series, Barber dimes for example, I typically go to a website that specifies in that series. This website compiles many of the popular series in one location.

The best part, for me at least, is FREE iPhone app that let's me access the PCGS Photograde when I'm out and about at a dealer or on the bourse floor. I just downloaded it and I can't wait to play with it.

The website and the iPhone app are described more here:

http://www.coinnews.net/2009/12/30/pcgs-photograde-online

http://www.coinnews.net/2009/12/31/free-ip...tograde-online/

Pretty neat thing to have. I'd rather they just do a general mobile app and not something IPhone or Android specific.

• 4 months later...

FYI we've just yesterday released a new mobile coin application called 'U.S. Coin Identifier' for Android (iPhone/iTouch version coming shortly).

Provided are Hi-Res Images and Specs on every U.S. Coin Series, Gold Coins and Silver&Gold Eagle Bullion. Current and historic metal spot values also provided. This is intended to be the first of many in a Complete Mobile Numismatic Suite of apps. available for Android and Apple mobile platforms.

We've used one of the mort popularly collected coins, The Morgan Silver Dollar, to showcase some of the many additional features that will be provided in future application releases.

This includes:

* Greater detailed Info & Facts for each U.S. coin series. (See U.S. Coin Identifier Morgan Dollar Example)

* Even Higher Resolution Coin Series photo examples with updates made until there is a photo and info on every key Date & Mint Mark for each U.S. coin series. (See U.S. Coin Identifier Morgan Dollar Example)

* Hi-Res PhotoGrading examples for every coin series. (See U.S. Coin Identifier Morgan Dollar Example)

* Detailed Mintage’s & Value Charts for every coin series. (See U.S. Coin Identifier Morgan Dollar Example)

* Automatically find current eBay listing for any coin series by individual Date/MM. (See U.S. Coin Identifier Morgan Dollar Example)

* Cherry pickers listings for every coin series. (See U.S. Coin Identifier Morgan Dollar Example)

* Information to assist in identifying fake or altered coins. Wondering if your coin’s been cleaned or tooled … or if it’s even real? Have the information at hand to answer your questions and keep you best informed. (See U.S. Coin Identifier Morgan Dollar Example)

* Detailed explanations and examples of Die Errors & Varieties (with ability to submit photos to be included in application).

* Comprehensive listing of nearly all known Third Party Graders with the ability to enter Bar Code # from slabs to view the coin’s certification and details direct from the TPGs (currently only available for PGCS, NGS and NCS. Note that NGC & NCS require you be registered with them (free for both) in order to use this feature).

* Coin Guides and Related Numismatic Links.

* In addition to all the U.S. Coin Series CoinHelp! Mobile Suite will also provide information and photographic examples of; Pre-Colonial, Colonial, U.S. Pattern Coins, and Tokens.

* Numismatic related news feeds.

* All applications to include Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly graphs for Gold, Silver, Platinum & Palladium.

All this and more coming soon in the Complete CoinHelp! Mobile Suite!

The main intention of these applications will be to provide a user with everything needed to make accurate informed decisions at coin shows, auctions, coins stores/shops, etc.. from the palm of your hand.

I've been looking at that the last couple days (I thought it had been there a while or I would've posted something), and I gotta tell you, I honestly can't see the difference between, say, an AU55 and an AU58, or anything between MS60 and MS65. The MS67s and -68s are astounding, though. Wow.

I appologize and honestly meant to just give a heads up to all the coin apps that were available in case people wanted to know. BTW I came across this PCGS post when I searched google looking for Android mobile coin apps and figured It probably be a good place for that info, sorry again.

Thanks again for the feedback it’s much appreciated and not falling on deaf ears! Apologize ahead of time for the rambling but some “quick” background on myself and this app … I got into numismatics about 6/7 months ago when I was left my grandfather’s coin collection. I quickly became somewhat obsessed and fallen in love with it. My schooling is in chemical engineering and chemistry but have been doing Unix system admin work for the past 14 years and am somewhat of a tech geek. One day after reading about the problem fake coins and slabs is becoming I thought it should be an easy thing to create a mobile app that would scan the barcodes from slabs and bring up the information and maybe useful for people to have at shows, auctions, shops basically anywhere they may not have a computer … I’m sure even the barcodes are being fakes but figured it would be easy and couldn’t hurt. So I went to the local coin shop (since I didn’t and still don’t have any slabbed coins) and told them my idea. Since I had been in there fairly often and they knew I lived right down the street they gave me a bunch of PCGS graded slabs to take home and play around with. I quickly realized that although the phone barcode scanners work really well from my experience they could not accurately scan the slab’s barcode. So much for that for now at least …. so I thought instead I’d create a free app just around PCGS’s cert site (since PCGS is one of the few that provides the service and without need of a registration) that would let people manually enter the barcode number to bring up the info…..but PCGS never got back to me. Anyway I had gotten a lot of great input and advice from the gentleman who runs coinauctionshelp and when I mentioned my idea he asked if maybe we could do something with his information. So that’s where this all came about and it continued to grow from there.

My personal main purpose was and still is to learn as much as I can about coins and spending so much time on this project has helped me a lot! However as far as grading goes I am still pretty clueless and have unfortunately not been much help when it comes to that. I do know that trying to find images of all the different grades for each series, get them at the right size and resolution for the mobile platform and make sure they are fairly accurate examples is not as easy as it may seem. Many of our examples are from Heritage Auctions where we have approval to use the images or taken manually. They are all examples graded by one of the big three but to me many of them look similar as well especially in the higher grades. I have a lot to learn but It’s even more difficult to tell the small differences via photos. In general grading seems to be mostly about the wear on a coin, then the contact marks, then the eye appeal and a lot of that is personal opinion and preferences which even individually is always changing. In short (LOL) it's difficult using photos to accurately tell the differences between one point in grades. Also not easy to get good higher res "untoned" examples for some series in the higher grades.

Anyway like I said we more than welcome and feedback, thoughts and suggestions! I just loaded up a new somewhat different toned example for Morgan AU55 and we will take a look at the MS grades examples as we can. Although I know very little I am fairly confident when it comes to the grades that there’s never going to be an overall agreement on them in person never mind photos but we will continue to constantly update and do our best to make the examples as accurate and useful as we can. I can already see the response were going to get once all the other coins series are ready to go :ninja:

Thanks and sorry again for the long post,

Marc

FYI .. it seems the Android Market still has a lot of bugs to work out and instead of delaying the app so we can charge for it we decided to instead release this first version for free. I'm just mentioning this so that anyone reading this who may have purchased it in the first couple days we releaed it can uninstall and request a refund and install the free version instead. It's exactly the same app and name just with a different icon. If you cannot get refunded in the market email us at help@coinauctionshelp.com and we will prompty send you a refund. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived