CoinPeople.com

Nazi Occupation Notes

Rhino

I recently came across these two Nazi notes and bought them since I collect WWII notes:

20 Reichsmark:

20rm.jpg

50 Reichsmark:

50rm.jpg

But then when I went and took a look at the Pick catalog, they are nowhere to be found... I know they are some sort of occupation notes issued by the Nazis, judging from the "Reichskreditkassen" mentioned on both notes (which doesn't appear on standard German notes of the 1930s), but WHAT countries were these actually used in? The Nazis altered Ukrainian and Polish currencies, so I ruled those 2 out, but which countries did they choose to just replace the currency with these :ninja: ? Any help would be appreciated!!

These are great notes! These Credit Treasury Notes are listed under 'German Occupied Territories - WWII" in the catalog. These are P-R 139 and P-R140. According to the catalog, these were issued in various occupied countries in 1939 and evidently circulated along with the occupied countries currency. Unfortunately there is no list as to which countries these were used in (perhaps it was all of their occupied countries?)

Then, as the war ended, there were special stamps placed on some of these that were then used in the British Occupied zones. If this has a stamp (reverse maybe?) then they are reportedly very scarce.

For notes that were used in all their occupied territories, it seems that these should be more common than they are. Nice purchase!

These are great notes! These Credit Treasury Notes are listed under 'German Occupied Territories - WWII" in the catalog. These are P-R 139 and P-R140. According to the catalog, these were issued in various occupied countries in 1939 and evidently circulated along with the occupied countries currency. Unfortunately there is no list as to which countries these were used in (perhaps it was all of their occupied countries?)

Then, as the war ended, there were special stamps placed on some of these that were then used in the British Occupied zones. If this has a stamp (reverse maybe?) then they are reportedly very scarce.

For notes that were used in all their occupied territories, it seems that these should be more common than they are. Nice purchase!

Found it :ninja: Thanks!

No back stamps, but still a purchase I'm happy with, these 2 notes complete my occupation set of 1,2,5,20,50.

• 4 weeks later...
These were mainly used in the Ostland, now Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

At one time or another, The Reichskreditkasse notes were used in most of the German occupied areas. In addition to the countries already mentioned, they were used in France and the Channel Islands. Their acceptance was compulsory. The exchange rate set by the Germans was extremely favorable to them.

Here is an English translation of a German document that discusses the German plan for economic exploitation of the occupied countries and the role that the Reichskreditkassen played in it. The document relates specifically to the occupation of Russian territory.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/imt/1743-ps.asp

• 2 months later...

Archived