CoinPeople.com

Cracking NGC plastic

elverno

I just got a decent 1800 Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt 6 pfennig and realized I hadn't cracked one of these yet.

Has anyone had any experience freeing coins from one of these tombs?

I've freed 20 or so in the past and will continue as long as I get them. This one's a little different from previous ones so I was curious as to whether anyone has any ideas on how to open it without damaging the coin. Frankly it just looks like all I need to do is pop open the seam but you never know... :ninja:

I've freed 20 or so in the past and will continue as long as I get them. This one's a little different from previous ones so I was curious as to whether anyone has any ideas on how to open it without damaging the coin. Frankly it just looks like all I need to do is pop open the seam but you never know... ;)

:ninja: I'm with you 100% on "freeing" the coins from slabs, I personally have a natural dislike for slabs... I like to be able to feel the coin, feel the edges, feel the weight, etc., not trap it in plastic for years (nothing against anyone who likes/gets slabs! just a personal preference)...

I've never cracked open a slab myself, but I have heard one of the safest ways is to use a vise. Wrap the slab in cloth or a towel, and place the end with the coin between the vise grips so that none is visible above the grips. Smash the top (where the label is), carefully remove the broken plastic, undo the vise then carefully remove the coin from the bottom half. Again, I haven't tried this, so I can't endorse this method.

I must admit that I've used a hammer myself (it was not a high-priced coin!). Bang it right on the edge, holding the coin edgewise on a hard surface. Hate the damn plastic. But then again, I'm not collecting MS 64's, and I can understand the desirability of certification for the high numbers.

Archived