CoinPeople.com

1813 TETTENBORN (Fr.-Ch. von) général badois, Baden.

1813 TETTENBORN (Fr.-Ch. von) général badois, Baden.

975099.jpg

29mm - Details - RRR+

Normally I wouldn't display such an awful filler. But in this case it might be the only example you'll ever see. It's certainly the only one I've run across in 30+ years. Of course now that you've seen it 50 of them will show up on eBay listed as "MEGA Rare!!!" :ninja:

In my experience lead medals tend to be more in this condition than not. If I was able to read the reverse legend I'd have graded it AUNC.

Tettenborn isn't as famous as his Wikipedia entry might make you think but he was a competent cavalry officer and like many men from the German States served in various armies throughout his career.

It is somewhat miraculous that these lead medalets actually survive at all given the softness of the material. Mind you, i'm sure you would get an MS60 if you submitted it to PCGS or a similar slabber. No? :ninja:

Nice find, and thanks for the ongoing education.

It is somewhat miraculous that these lead medalets actually survive at all given the softness of the material. Mind you, i'm sure you would get an MS60 if you submitted it to PCGS or a similar slabber. No? ;)

Uh... No. :ninja:

Besides if I slabbed it I'd just have to break it back out. What a waste of plastic. ;)

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for reminding my last find of that era:

GenTBorn.jpg

White metal medal (30-35 mm / 8,92 g), with hanger

Another one is on http://maxentius.lamoneta.it/PagineMedagli...tenborn1813.htm

Never seen before.

regards

Nice! Obviously the same piece though I didn't see it listed with the loop. Taking a close look at mine it's possible that the loop has been removed. If so, they did a good job but under a loupe I can see two very faint lines on the top edge. As is my experience as soon as I said "really rare" someone finds two of them. :ninja:

Archived