CoinPeople.com

Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich Romanov, Corpus of Russian coins

one-kuna

Great news, printed catalogs are in a mail and hopefully will be received before holidays :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...
a week to go ;)

if someone reading this post and knows a provenance of this set - would be greatly appreciated for any info :ninja:

PRICE REALIZED

45 k + 15% buyer's premium

one-kuna

I was visiting GM's collection at the Smithsonian this week and decided to go over the GM corpus volumes that they have. It was quite impressive! They have a full set with each volume being copy #6 with exlibris of Ksenia (this came with GM's collection). Also, Yasha Heifitz (the genious violin player who was also a coin collector), donated his set to the museum. 7 volumes of his set are copies #1 - personal copies of N2 and A3!!!!!!!! I know that Yasha picked up these volumes while he was visiting USSR with concerts, but I am amazed as to fact that these volumes were available. BTW, each of those 7 volumes has a sticker with a cabinet number and shelf number within a library, so at some point they were 'lifted' from the museum library in Russia. The question is when?

Also, Yasha Heifitz (the genious violin player who was also a coin collector), donated his set to the museum. 7 volumes of his set are copies #1 - personal copies of N2 and A3!!!!!!!! I know that Yasha picked up these volumes while he was visiting USSR with concerts, but I am amazed as to fact that these volumes were available. BTW, each of those 7 volumes has a sticker with a cabinet number and shelf number within a library, so at some point they were 'lifted' from the museum library in Russia. The question is when?

Now, that is what i call a provenance.

• 4 weeks later...

PRICE REALIZED

45 k + 15% buyer's premium

one-kuna

according one advanced collector's record the following is his provenance on a recently sold set of GM by Kolbe:

...over half of the volumes were sold to a colonel Peter Markevich in 1893 living in Warsaw but subsequently may have belonged to a New York Russian coin dealer and collector Alexander von Sandro, who retired sometine in the 50-s... :ninja:

• 2 months later...
according one advanced collector's record the following is his provenance on a recently sold set of GM by Kolbe:

...over half of the volumes were sold to a colonel Peter Markevich in 1893 living in Warsaw but subsequently may have belonged to a New York Russian coin dealer and collector Alexander von Sandro, who retired sometine in the 50-s... :ninja:

hardbound copy of an auction catalog is available from Mr. G F Kolbe and it is just gorgeuos bound ;)

Archived