CoinPeople.com

Pair of Islamic coins to identify.

Me not being an expert on these yet I'd have no idea which country they are from and what era. Ottoman Turkey?

Well it turns out it does seem to be from Turkey - mint name is 'Qustantiniyah' (Constantinople) but I can't find denoms..

Tughra identification....

AH 1223 = 1808 AD/CE

iyq15v.jpg

kbaeyh.jpg

They are from the reign of Sultan Mahmud II, I think the left might be 5 piasters the other 100 Para ? I can tell you for sure tonight when I get home if no one answers for sure before then.

Okay, I need the weights :ninja: I can tell you right now the They are indeed our pal Mahmud II (1809-39) The one ont he left is from 8th silver issue (22-35)the one on the right is for sure from the ninth silver issue (years 25-32) if you can give me a weight and/or size I can tell you what they are...

Okay, I need the weights ;) I can tell you right now the They are indeed our pal Mahmud II (1809-39) The one ont he left is from 8th silver issue (22-35)the one on the right is for sure from the ninth silver issue (years 25-32) if you can give me a weight and/or size I can tell you what they are...

Larger coin is 27 mm diam. and smaller one 20 mm diam. :ninja:

The larger coin is a 1 Kurush KM#589 0.2200 Silver Year 23 8th Silver issue

The smaller coin is a 20 Para KM#596 0.1700 Silver Year 32 9th Silver Issue

For what its worth, the catalog prices them:

1 Kurush: VG - 2.75 F - 3.00 VF - 6.25 XF - 15.00

20 Para: VG - 2.00 F - 2.50 VF - 4.00 XF - 10.00

Most of the coins like these that I see are holed or well worn and sell very cheap (few bucks each) so I would say one in XF condition might be a bit more rare thus might be worth a bit more than the catalog states. From what I have seen as to pricing for this relatively common type and in this condition, those prices seem pretty close.

Archived