CoinPeople.com

Vague Silver Penny - possibly Henry III?

NumisMattic2200

Unfortunately I have no notes on the joblot this one came out of - another one (from a group of for) was a Henry III Short-Cross Penny, the other two are Long Crosses probably of Edward I/II. Is this another Henry III or a rare earlier Short-cross type?

A little puzzle for some more experienced connoisseur maybe?

30majkp.jpg

148n81j.jpg

OK! So its a shortcross and the obverse has traces of the usual "HENRICVS" and the presence of "IME" among the reverse legend narrows to either AIMER or FIL AIMER (as the mint is LONDON), this makes it either Henry II or Richard. Pity its not in collectable condition!!!

My humble opinion!

I couldn't read it, that's for sure! Mind you it's a few years now since i've dabbled in hammered coins. The trick to reading the reverse legends on these earlier short-cross types is to find the 'ON' first, since it's the bit that doesn't tend to change, then you can decide whether to work out the mint or the moneyer first, I would tend to try and figure out the mint name first. Even though there are many mints and many spelling variations, there are even more moneyer names and even less formulated spellings!

Archived