CoinPeople.com

French Banknote Theft

Dave M

I've been the victim of a theft, and would like the forum to be aware and on the lookout for a couple notes. Two French banknotes (SCWPM P.2/Fayette F.02.33 alph C.8688, #267, and SCWPM P.131c/F.48.08 Alph P.130 #37204 pictured below) were purchased by me from the Compagnie Generale de Bourse (CGB, Paris France) Papier Monnaie 14 auction of June 25, 2009 as auction lots 47 and 247. For a variety of reasons, they were not shipped to me until August 7th. Upon delivery to me on August 20, 2009, I found the package empty. I will be pursuing this through the postal services, of course.

These notes are quite rare, both are in UNC condition. If you come across these notes through a dealer, auction, eBay, or other source, I would certainly appreciate contact through www.FrenchBanknotes.com.

I would appreciate it if a moderator could "sticky" this post for a while.

Thank you,

Dave Mills

p14_0047a.jpg

p14_0247a.jpg

They are shipped via a French Priority Mail, and insured. I had to sign for the package (well my wife did) and it was only clear that the package had been opened once I dug in to it. Talking with the folks at CGB, there was tape on the package that they had not put there, and it's clear now that it had been monkeyed with en route.

I wish I could go there to buy, but I'm not exactly next door...

Dave

Michel is an interesting guy, very French of course, makes you wait when you come in during when they just opened the door, so he can have lunch! But they are very friendly people though. There are actually several other coin businesses up there in the bourse area on Rue Vivienne, and it is a pretty nice spot for dining for lunch, nice cafes there etc. My wife finally put a stop to me going there, because I was spending her department store dosh on banknotes.

Your experience is why I never have my wife sign for packages. I inspect stuff before I even think about signing for it, because I have never had anything happen like that and don't want to.

The 5FF will stick out like a sore thumb in that grade with that design, it is a very rare note in that grade. The 5000 is a bit less scarce, and those do turn up, but again that is a pretty nice note and if/when it appears I would be onto them like a pack of snarly hounds.

They do sound very French, thanks for the view behind the scenes :ninja:

My post office tells me it is not critical to examine packages while the postman is standing at the door. They've said that if there is an issue like this (my first one), as long as I report it immediately with the next day or two, that's fine. But in this case I'm at the mercy of the French postal system, I don't know how that one's going to work out.

Dave

does the package showed any sign of opening? it happend to me once to receive a package that was open (by someone who worked at the post?!) and sticked back. only because the note was rapped very carefully (it wasn't able to tell what was inside) the note was still there.

i think that in my case a postal worker was curious or some one check it at the douane.

as for CGB, with me they were all ok until now.

Yes, it was opened, I can tell that for sure. But the rest is theory as to where it may have been opened and pilfered. You're lucky with that package you got with the notes still intact! I'm not worried about the honesty of CGB, I've been buying from them for probably 20 years, but more of how the postal service handles the insurance claim, and whether CGB will address any issues with that claim.

Dave

Archived