CoinPeople.com

Interesting overstrike 1743

BKB

A little puzzle with punched/unpunched/mispunched letters does not bother me against the main points that it is edged by Moscow mint, has SPB Elizabeth portrait and eagle. :ninja:

It's definitely interesting and I don't think such combination is impossible. When the original Ioann III ruble was first struck in 1741, it could have circulate out of Moscow right away. Recalling the coins outside St. Petersburg and Moscow would have taken time and therefore any combination can be possible although most likely very uncommon.

Taking the example of the overstruck copper coins struck later in 1755 and then in 1757, it is not suprising to find mixed mintmarks of the original coin versus the edging if there is any. The only challenge to this story is that there aren't that many examples of such overstruck coins as a fair amount have been melted / destoryed over the last 250 years. Not to forget to mention the obvious fact that there are significantly less overstruck silver than copper coins.

Putting this aside, BKB would you happen to have a higher resolution of the coins? I am very interested if I can see the original MMD mintmark under the Ioann III portrait.

Putting this aside, BKB would you happen to have a higher resolution of the coins? I am very interested if I can see the original MMD mintmark under the Ioann III portrait.

I do not have any other photos, but the "D" of mmd is clearly visible in the area under those humongous tits. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I do not have any other photos, but the "D" of mmd is clearly visible in the area under those humongous tits. :-)

new two volume catalog by Yusupov has 3 images of 1743 ruble with weak punched R in RUBL' :ninja:

Archived