CoinPeople.com

5kop1766/5CM overdate

sigistenz

Hi, my latest acquisition is this heavily made up elderly beauty. Indeed I did not yet get the lacquer off, it resisted to 24 hrs of acetone and to thinner as well.

Anyone an idea?

It is however a 5kop1766/5CM overdate and not included in the Brekke/Bakken compilation, I don't know if it is published anywhere else?

Thanks as always, Sigi

5kop1766cmover5.jpg

By sigistenz

Hi, my latest acquisition is this heavily made up elderly beauty. Indeed I did not yet get the lacquer off, it resisted to 24 hrs of acetone and to thinner as well.

Anyone an idea?

It is however a 5kop1766/5CM overdate and not included in the Brekke/Bakken compilation, I don't know if it is published anywhere else?

Thanks as always, Sigi

Not sure about the overdate Sigi (at least I don't see it from the images). The whole coin shows some doubling (obverse and reverse). The last 6 seems to be consistent with doubling elsewhere.

That said, you do have it in your hands so can make the better judgment.

Very nice coin though!

Best

Steve

Anyone an idea?

Thanks as always, Sigi

5kop1766cmover5.jpg

By sigistenz

Nice overdate/clear visible "5" under "6" /.Thank you for showing.

Rarenum

Not sure about the overdate Sigi (at least I don't see it from the images). The whole coin shows some doubling (obverse and reverse). The last 6 seems to be consistent with doubling elsewhere.

That said, you do have it in your hands so can make the better judgment.

Very nice coin though!

Best

Steve

Sigi: The 6/5 CM is of course well known and not uncommon, but they are usually different. I did find one other example (ex molotok) that looks to be the same die as yours, this one without the overall doubling that yours shows.

Best

Steve

Sigi: The 6/5 CM is of course well known and not uncommon, but they are usually different. I did find one other example (ex molotok) that looks to be the same die as yours, this one without the overall doubling that yours shows.

Best

Steve

Hi Steve, the "overall doubling" is the effect of laquer. The pictures were taken from the right in order to make appear the overstrike. I'll try to make better pictures of higher resolution :ninja: . Thank you for the comments, best, Sigi

Sigi:

I have had luck with methyl chloride based paint remover, on laquer, but only with a silver coin. The patina was left intact.

I would be careful, however because it may not be the case on copper. It wont etch the copper itself, but it may remove the patina.

Best to try it on some old copper of no value first. Acetone or mineral spirits thinner wont cut laquer once its cured. It wont hurt to try alcohol, but again, once the laquer has hardened, i dont think it will dissolve the laquer.

Keep up the good progress on your omnicoin project! :ninja:

Sigi:

I have had luck with methyl chloride based paint remover, on laquer, but only with a silver coin. The patina was left intact.

I would be careful, however because it may not be the case on copper. It wont etch the copper itself, but it may remove the patina.

Best to try it on some old copper of no value first. Acetone or mineral spirits thinner wont cut laquer once its cured. It wont hurt to try alcohol, but again, once the laquer has hardened, i dont think it will dissolve the laquer.

Keep up the good progress on your omnicoin project! :ninja:

Hi my dear friend Josh! Thank you for caring and for your advice. Next thing I'll try is freezing the coin and then dipping it into boiling water. Maybe the lacquer will spring off from the shock? ;) I'll let you know about the result. All the best, Sigi

Anyone an idea?

Thanks as always, Sigi

After careful examination of cleaning material from other sources one can conclude that lackuer removing can destroy an original patine and bring other undesirable effects on a coin being cleaned. Highly not recommended!

After careful examination of cleaning material from other sources one can conclude that lackuer removing can destroy an original patine and bring other undesirable effects on a coin being cleaned. Highly not recommended!

Thank you, one-kuna, but I think I can't help it. :ninja: There is no underlying patina, by the way. Before being lacquered the coin had been cleaned. So once the lacquer (hopefully) removed the coin would have to be darkened anyway. I'll let you know about any results. Sigi

I think if the coin is cleaned under the clear coat, have no fear using paint stripper. I dont know what is available in your area, but here we can still buy the good stuff with methyl chloride, it is a gel, and will strip laquer, polyurethane, and even clear epoxy finishes. There are also many "green" paint removers. usually a gel, and non-toxic, with no fumes. They just take longer, but work ok. Almost all of them say on the label "safe for metal" and that includes copper. I had no problem removing a clear polyurethane from a 1766 MM 2 kopeck overstrike, that the previous owner cleaned and poly'd. A few more years on the window sill, and will be nice and brown again. At least that is the plan!

I think if the coin is cleaned under the clear coat, have no fear using paint stripper. I dont know what is available in your area, but here we can still buy the good stuff with methyl chloride, it is a gel, and will strip laquer, polyurethane, and even clear epoxy finishes. There are also many "green" paint removers. usually a gel, and non-toxic, with no fumes. They just take longer, but work ok. Almost all of them say on the label "safe for metal" and that includes copper. I had no problem removing a clear polyurethane from a 1766 MM 2 kopeck overstrike, that the previous owner cleaned and poly'd. A few more years on the window sill, and will be nice and brown again. At least that is the plan!

I think the stuff should be available here as well, will try to get it Monday. As to darkening a piggy pink copper coin, somebody told me to put the coin into the empty wooden package of a little French cheese, along with 2 matches. In a few months the vapors of the wood and the matches (=sulphur) would result in a nice chocolate brown color. He emailed some convincing pictures.

I've never tried that method because I can't wait that long. :ninja: Thanks again, Sigi

Archived