CoinPeople.com

Bull and Crescent reverse, very nice...

NumisMattic2200

Here's mine from Castulo:

956393.jpg

Yours is from Obulco, a semis as well I believe.

The Iberian lettering below the bull on mine says Castulo. The coins dates to the first century B.C. These are associated with a city rather than a ruler. The Romans controlled Spain during this period, or at least they warred with the local tribes throughout the period.

Your's has the head of Apollo on the obverse with Latin letters, OBVL for Obulco and NIG (I don't know what that might mean). The reverse has NIG again ahead of the bull. The letter N, like the L on mine.......I'm not sure of the significance.

22mm

Look around at http://moneda-hispanica.com/iberia.htm.

The Greeks, Phonecians, and Romans all had interactions with and settlements in the Iberian region. The coins we are talking about here date to the period of primary Roman influence and settlement. The coins are local as opposed to Roman products and the iconography is likely most closely related to general Celtic iconography.

• 1 month later...

Im not to ancient as far as I know.

L in celtic or other ancient times stands for.

Maybe godess luna moon a cresent,moon reflecting the light from the source the sun.

Since that it is cresent,and upward just like an urn recieving.

Both L and cresent moon is above the bull it is higher than the bull.

Bull and its symbolism can earch on the web.

There is always a head or a leader.

Further studies can go a symbolism on that time and by a letter then combine them if they are words and expert can decode them those that are into ancient.

Much better if a first source of info.

Archived