CoinPeople.com

Dusty Roman to identify...

NumisMattic2200

Thats a tough one to ID right on. It looks like an As or a Sestertius of Hadrian. Hard to tell what is in the hand that is lowered. In the other hand is a cornucopia so it is either Moneta or Aequitas holding scales that are now worn off or Pax with a branch? You can probably narrow it down at wildwinds.

The Hadrian legend probably is IMP CAESAR TR (AIAN HADRIANVS AVG) and my guess for the reverse is Pax holding a branch (gone) and cornucopia. If correct, the reverse legend was PM TRP COSIII SC and the coin dates earlier in the reign when Hadrian still was honoring his predecessor Trajan in the obverse legend. Again I guess it is an 'as' so it should weigh about 13g and be about an inch in diameter. Sestertii are larger but this looks like I would expect an as to look in a style sense. Your coin has a nice style early portrait. It is possible that more legend would show at obverse right with a little cleaning but that is a big risk and the sand over green looks nice enough now I would be very, very careful and definitely not use any chemicals. It would be possible to ruin a perfectly good, but low grade, coin as it is now. The reverse strike looks weak enough that I doubt there is much legend to show under the sand.

Archived