CoinPeople.com

Irish Advertising Token from William Reardon Cork County

hiho

Found in an secret compartment of an antique desk in London with 10 other old coins and tokens, I kid you not.

cork-1.jpg

cork-2.jpg

Advertising token, right? Does anyone know if this is a common piece and/or the approximate date it was issued?

I would like to soak it in 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the green verdigris but if it's rare I'll leave it alone.

Anticipating that someone might ask what is a GINGLE(also spelt with a 'J')? It was a type of horse drawn cab unique to Cork.

We learn from the Cork Directory of Thomas Holt, published in 1837, that in 1810, "but one diligence ran between Cork and Passage, which, carried four persons, and which was rarely filled. At present [1837] there are 300 gingles licensed, of which, perhaps, two thirds run between Cork and Passage, each of which holds four persons. Some of them make three or four trips, daily; besides a day car, which holds six passengers. The estimated annual number of persons going and returning, by land, between Cork and Passage, is 420,000;"

LINK to JINGLE PIC

Thanks for the excellent information Constanius.

Here's another coin from the London desk, a (September) 1689 Gun Money Shilling.

1689GM-1.jpg

1689GM-2.jpg

Archived