CoinPeople.com

My recent visit to GIM in Moscow

IgorS

Just came back from a trip to Russia and Ukraine. Highly recommend!

In Moscow I managed a visit to GIM (Historical Museum). I was lucky for them to have an exhibit going called "GOLD". A lot of coins, medals and military decorations were on display. Other permanent areas of the museum had hundreds (if not more) of medals and coins on display to better describe historical events, which once again shows that numismatics is an auxiliary historical discipline. So be proud of your hobby. It is a worth while endeavor.

Konstantin rouble was on diplay, but I think it is a "display copy" of sorts. Here are a few pictures:

gim1.th.jpg

gim2.th.jpg

gim3.th.jpg

HELLO ;)

Thank you for sharing this pictures, i d the occasion to visite a little museum in Chisinau in may this year.

I saw a netherland's Ducat and some roman and turkish coins.I saw llthe moldavia and vallachia coins,included 2 trials.

I could send a scan of a flyers fro this museum if someone is interested in

regards from france :ninja:

In Moscow I managed a visit to GIM (Historical Museum). I was lucky for them to have an exhibit going called "GOLD". A lot of coins, medals and military decorations were on display. Other permanent areas of the museum had hundreds (if not more) of medals and coins on display to better describe historical events, which once again shows that numismatics is an auxiliary historical discipline. So be proud of your hobby. It is a worth while endeavor.

Konstantin rouble was on diplay, but I think it is a "display copy" of sorts. Here are a few pictures:

[

I hope you did not miss another medal exibition runnig all summer at State museum of Fine Arts of Pushkin;

Constantine ruble which exibited at SHM is a modern fake; very interesting that museum did not present a genuine ruble - one from those five which came from when secret vault of Finance Ministry was open back to 19 century

I hope you did not miss another medal exibition runnig all summer at State museum of Fine Arts of Pushkin;

Constantine ruble which exibited at SHM is a modern fake; very interesting that museum did not present a genuine ruble - one from those five which came from when secret vault of Finance Ministry was open back to 19 century

No, did not have a chance to go to Pushkin. I would love to see medals from Stakhovich collection, but did not have enough time. But I did make it to "Bolshoi"' :ninja:

I do not think museum would use a modern fake for display. It is most likely a galvano or as I called it a "display copy" of sorts.

I do not think museum would use a modern fake for display. It is most likely a galvano or as I called it a "display copy" of sorts.

...yet, they have not specified it is not original, have they?

No, did not have a chance to go to Pushkin. I would love to see medals from Stakhovich collection, but did not have enough time. But I did make it to "Bolshoi"' ;)

OK fake or copy still not original, probably secutiry is not enough and less headache when genuine is not exibited, like most paintins - they are not original but modern duplicates, but i proud that Constantine ruble now exibited like a famous painting as galvano or modern copy :ninja:

OK fake or copy still not original, probably secutiry is not enough and less headache when genuine is not exibited, like most paintins - they are not original but modern duplicates, but i proud that Constantine ruble now exibited like a famous painting as galvano or modern copy ;)

Yes, I am sure they are worried about security. I also noticed that many early silver medals in the permanent exhibition described as "silver" did not look silver at all. Again - a galvano or a WM at best. But the copper medals were certainly copper ;) and the quality is to die for. Same for the coins - the quality is UNBELIEVABLE. You will practically never see anything like this in auctions. :ninja: Oh well, they have hundreds of thousands of items to pick from, so no wonder.

Another thing I wanted to mention that I find interesting is that if you look at the display with gold medals of different imperial periods, you will see a transition from flashy proof-like early imperial medals to matte subdued, almost modest late imperial medals. Yes, I read many books on the art of medal, but it is great to see the progression in one display.

Yes, I am sure they are worried about security. I also noticed that many early silver medals in the permanent exhibition described as "silver" did not look silver at all. Again - a galvano or a WM at best. But the copper medals were certainly copper ;) and the quality is to die for. Same for the coins - the quality is UNBELIEVABLE. You will practically never see anything like this in auctions. :ninja: Oh well, they have hundreds of thousands of items to pick from, so no wonder.

Another thing I wanted to mention that I find interesting is that if you look at the display with gold medals of different imperial periods, you will see a transition from flashy proof-like early imperial medals to matte subdued, almost modest late imperial medals. Yes, I read many books on the art of medal, but it is great to see the progression in one display.

after visiting an exibition like that usually the interest get lost for a while

Hi Igor,

Did you see silver or copper patterns or nice silver of Peter I on display (not galvano copy)?

RARENUM

Hi Igor,

Did you see silver or copper patterns or nice silver of Peter I on display (not galvano copy)?

RARENUM

No, did not see anything like that. That would belong in a numismatic display and there was no such thing.

No, did not see anything like that. That would belong in a numismatic display and there was no such thing.

have you seen Shiryakov :ninja:

I wanted to ararnge a meeting, but could not come up with a reason.

as an owner of a ruble with double face of Catherine & Peter III could have had a request on presentation of Peter III and early Catherine II rubles, or something similar, or Dasie pieces, or Peter I's tiger series to see best specimes... :ninja:

as an owner of a ruble with double face of Catherine & Peter III could have had a request on presentation of Peter III and early Catherine II rubles, or something similar, or Dasie pieces, or Peter I's tiger series to see best specimes... :ninja:

Sorry, I do not think those are valid reasons to meet up with Head of the Numismatics Department of the Museum. Well, let me rephrase that - they might be valid for me, but not for him. ;)

Sorry, I do not think those are valid reasons to meet up with Head of the Numismatics Department of the Museum. Well, let me rephrase that - they might be valid for me, but not for him. ;)

when Hermes came to Hermitage, just a fact that he is a collector and from US led him to observe a lot of cool coins and medals :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
I live in St. Petersburg. The Hermitage in our city. I was there at the weekend.

exibition in Moscow was reported here, but you put it on separate post :ninja:

Archived