CoinPeople.com

British Aluminum Co. 1896 Medal

968844.jpg

Aluminum medal struck from the first aluminum produced by the British Aluminum Co. in Scotland. I believe the names on the reverse are the names of the towns in the area when the aluminum was produced.

968844.jpg

Aluminum medal struck from the first aluminum produced by the British Aluminum Co. in Scotland. I believe the names on the reverse are the names of the towns in the area when the aluminum was produced.

Up until that time hence aluminium had been a noble metal which was worth more than gold because of the production expenses. Many of the finest medals pre-1900 were struck in aluminium as a result, the novelty being the lightweight aspect of it compared to other metals. This is a lovely piece which appeals to the prurient sensations coupled with being Scottish of course.

The naked lady was part of the attraction. God bless the Scottish smelters! :ninja:

One that I must add to my want list, an historic piece. Would love to see a larger image! Thanks for posting.

Try this.

• 1 month later...
968844.jpg

This is BHM#3498 RR. very rare;

the company was founded in Larne, County Antrim, N. Ireland

the aluminum was reduced at Foyers, Inverness, Scotland

the refining and work up was at the Milton factory, Staffordshire, England

why Cargan is unknown but it it probably refers to Cargan, County Antrim, N. Ireland

the electrodes were prepared at Greenock in Renfrewshire, Scotland

Thanks for the updated information. It may be very rare, but it doesn't seem to be very expensive from the sales references I've been able to track down. It seems to be an inexpensive collectible piece.

Thanks for the updated information. It may be very rare, but it doesn't seem to be very expensive from the sales references I've been able to track down. It seems to be an inexpensive collectible piece.

Rarity does not always translate to a high price, many other factors come into play, I have some RRR. & RRRR. (=probably less than 10 struck, down to only 1 example known) which did not cost me much.

Often the sellers do not know the rarity of the medals they are selling. The word 'rare' gets over used(wrongly) in many cases but also not used when it is warranted, due to lack of knowledge/references.

Still if that medal was a very rare US token/medal I have no doubt it would cost a lot more than it being british one, just the way the market is. It suits me as I am a collector, not a seller, of mainly british medals.

It could be CC. (very common) but if 'everyone' wants one in their collection then the price will probably be higher than a very rare medal with only a few collectors wanting one.

Rarity does not always translate to a high price, many other factors come into play, I have some RRR. & RRRR. (=probably less than 10 struck, down to only 1 example known) which did not cost me much.

Still if that medal was a very rare US token/medal I have no doubt it would cost a lot more than it being british one, just the way the market is. It suits me as I am a collector, not a seller, of mainly british medals.

Exactly the kind of material (and challenge) I collect!

Archived