CoinPeople.com

whats this error?

I think this is called a strike-through. Basically one image appears through the coin on the opposite side, it's not uncommon, I've seen it on many US nickels and dimes. It looks pretty cool on older coins though. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

What you see here is 'ghosting'. The technical term is 'internal metal displacement phenomenon'. Due to the continual impacting forces of Lincoln's bust (obverse) on the reverse die, as the die ages it begins to take on a bit of an incuse bend corresponding to the outline of the bust.

What you see here is 'ghosting'. The technical term is 'internal metal displacement phenomenon'. Due to the continual impacting forces of Lincoln's bust (obverse) on the reverse die, as the die ages it begins to take on a bit of an incuse bend corresponding to the outline of the bust.

I thought it was metal displacement (molecular expansion) of the coin blank caused by the extreme pressure of the minting process, not distress upon the dies. Metal has a "springiness" that can be seen on work hardened coin blanks. If you want to see what I mean, put a washer over a Lincoln cent and hit it with a heavy hammer, then heat another Lincoln (pre 1982, no zincolns) until it is red hot (annealed) and repeat the process to see the different transformations of soft and hard metals.

Guest coinartist

I think you have it Rockdude very good explaination i'm Jazzcoins Joe i;m everywhere but i;m coin artist on this site.the coin is not a strike thru.

Joe :ninja:;);)

I think you have it Rockdude very good explaination i'm Jazzcoins Joe i;m everywhere but i;m coin artist on this site.the coin is not a strike thru.

Joe :ninja:;);)

I've had a look around and can't seem to find a clear definition for strike-through anywhere. I've seen struck-through "grease/cloth/paper" etc, but no definition for strike through. I've never heard the term ghosting used on coin-related materials by anyone other than online and I've been at it for quite a while.

Hi Joe, glad to see you over here. I bounce around as well. Check out this site Vfox. Scroll down to what you want.

http://conecaonline.org/content/glossary.html

Handy glossary, thanks. I guess that means all the dealers in the area have incorrect verbiage lol. Coneca would certainly have a correct listing on terms. I wonder when these terms developed? Has anyone written a history on terminology used in numismatics?

I'm a freelance jeweler as a side-job (not PMC or beads, blowtorch and hammer type stuff) and nearly all the terms used in numismatics can be transfered back and forth from smithing and printmaking. There are some differences and we jewelers make up some crazy words from time to time, ahaha. But nearly everything can go to either end of metal working.

Archived