CoinPeople.com

I found a new baby - 5kop1765MM

sigistenz

Having specialized in the largest copper coins for quite some years, new acquisitons happen less and less often. See here my new pride. :ninja: Sigi

my5kop1765mm.jpg

By sigistenz

Having specialized in the largest copper coins for quite some years, new acquisitons happen less and less often. See here my new pride. Sigi

Two comments:

The first is a ‘complaint’ as your specimen is better than mine! Much better in fact.

Second, I note that there is a bar extending to the right of the figure 5. One always

suspects a possible overdate, i.e. 5/4.

RWJ

Having specialized in the largest copper coins for quite some years, new acquisitons happen less and less often. See here my new pride. ;) Sigi

my5kop1765mm.jpg

By sigistenz

Congratulations! :ninja:

Is this overstruck on 10 kopeks 1762? I see what look like traces of an undertype around the tip of the scepter and the end of the scroll, nothing I recognize straight away, but if overstruck, what could it possibly be except a Peter III 10k?

Congratulations!

Is this overstruck on 10 kopeks 1762? I see what look like traces of an undertype around the tip of the scepter and the end of the scroll, nothing I recognize straight away, but if overstruck, what could it possibly be except a Peter III 10k?

Agreed. If the eagle side is inverted one can see the last letter of KOPECKS and

the spear point just above it. Good catch!

RWJ

Agreed. If the eagle side is inverted one can see the last letter of KOPECKS and

the spear point just above it. Good catch!

RWJ

Thank you! Even under the microscope the 5/4 can be not be affirmed at 100%. Let's say there is a 80% certainty. But IMHO an overdate can only be claimed when very obvious. A while ago we had the discussion about the CM piataks. There was almost consensus that only visible (poor) overstrikes (early 1763) were considered as such and that invisible (good job) overstrikes (later 1763 to 1767) were refused that attribute. Sigi

Having specialized in the largest copper coins for quite some years, new acquisitons happen less and less often. See here my new pride. :ninja: Sigi

In addition to its description I would describe it as RED (КРАСНАЯ)

This and others MM piataks (5 kopeks) are overstrike on 10 kopeks 1762 (no doubt, no question, no confusion)

Regarding the overdate on this one - there is NONE; the point bar located to the 5th's right is a continuation of a cud very visible (when enlarge image open) through and going under a wreath and continuing/ending at the coin edge ;)

In addition to its description I would describe it as RED (КРАСНАЯ)

This and others MM piataks (5 kopeks) are overstrike on 10 kopeks 1762 (no doubt, no question, no confusion)

Regarding the overdate on this one - there is NONE; the point bar located to the 5th's right is a continuation of a cud very visible (when enlarge image open) through and going under a wreath and continuing/ending at the coin edge ;)

Hi one-kuna, nice to see your comment.

My coin is chocolate brown. Aside from it being overstruck at the Red Mint why should it be described as RED?

I have the coin in person and I have inspected it under different angles under the microscope. I found that the 5/4 overdate is not certain, but that it is more likely than not that overdate :ninja: . Sigi

Hi one-kuna, nice to see your comment.

My coin is chocolate brown. Aside from it being overstruck at the Red Mint why should it be described as RED?

I have the coin in person and I have inspected it under different angles under the microscope. I found that the 5/4 overdate is not certain, but that it is more likely than not that overdate :ninja: . Sigi

on my screen your piatak is red, i was trying to give you an idea how current auction houses located in russia describe these copper coins: red, chocolate, yellow, etc.; those words are added as an addition to its normal description to attract more prospective buyers...

regarding an overdate: could you see a line starting from 5 in a date, going right, then aborted, assume going under wreath and come out from a wreath adn almost ending to its edge ? if you see it as i do - it is a cud; please confirm if you see what i meant ;)

on my screen your piatak is red, i was trying to give you an idea how current auction houses located in russia describe these copper coins: red, chocolate, yellow, etc.; those words are added as an addition to its normal description to attract more prospective buyers...

regarding an overdate: could you see a line starting from 5 in a date, going right, then aborted, assume going under wreath and come out from a wreath adn almost ending to its edge ? if you see it as i do - it is a cud; please confirm if you see what i meant ;)

Hi one-kuna, yes I see what you mean, you suggest a die crack matching in position on both sides of the wreath. But shouldn't it be seen on the wreath as well?

On the other hand, the horizontal bar right of the 5 ( the alleged 4's arm) has at its end what seem to be very faint traces of a vertical serif? As would have had a previous 4.

Anyway, I do not advocate the overdate but I don't think it should be excluded categorically :ninja: Sigi

Very Nice Looking Baby! and the best part is NO DIAPERS TO CHANGE! ;)

greens also can be removed :ninja:

How? :ninja:

i sent you some direction in your personel message ;)

Archived