CoinPeople.com

Medal question

chagall12

Hi all

This silver medal 51mm 56.5 g signed B.A. is a bit similar to Diakov 631.1 found as nr 3 in this link http://www.coinarchives.com/w/results.php?...amp;results=100

But hair style is quite different. Is it the same engraver ? And what is inscription and engraving saying ? Is exact this medal listed in any reference work ?

Grateful for answer from experts

Kopia_av_Ryssland__by_B.A.1831_50mmDiakov631.1_R2_.JPG

Hi all

This silver medal 51mm 56.5 g signed B.A. is a bit similar to Diakov 631.1 found as nr 3 in this link http://www.coinarchives.com/w/results.php?...amp;results=100

But hair style is quite different. Is it the same engraver ? And what is inscription and engraving saying ? Is exact this medal listed in any reference work ?

Grateful for answer from experts

IMHO This medal was awarded in 1831 to a merchant company "Amelung and Son(s)". This is just a guess.

IMHO This medal was awarded in 1831 to a merchant company "Amelung and Son(s)". This is just a guess.

The original poster wanted translations of the inscriptions and these read as follows:

Obverse: BY THE GRACE OF GOD NICHOLAS I EMPEROR AND AUTOCRAT OF ALL THE RUSSIAS.

Reverse: FOR DILIGENCE AND ART.

In the time of Nicholas II these medals seem to have been issued primarily for agricultural topics but

I am not sure of the rules for such medals under Nichoasl I. It may be the case that the issuing authority

had wide latitude in such matters.

The reverse seems to be the same die as the other illustration and it may simply be that a new obverse

was executed when the first obverse die cracked or otherwise could not be used. It might also be that

the Emperor did not like this particular portrait and ordered a new die.

RWJ

I checked in Diakov's book and there is a 463.2 version of the medal with portrait the same as yours. It is by the same engraver - V. Alexeev

Thank you all. Now I have the correct number Diakov 463.2

What rarity grade was put on it by Diakov ?

Thank you all. Now I have the correct number Diakov 463.2

What rarity grade was put on it by Diakov ?

I think dates 1831 (yours) and 1843 (from coinarchieve) explains the difference in hair style, if same engraver as by Diakov, so 12 years being an active engraver is a long way to go :ninja:

Thank you all for good work

chagall12

:ninja:

Archived