CoinPeople.com

I'm charged with selling these beauties

TreasureGirl

I have here two 1899 $1, a 1923 $1, and a 1929 $10. The $1s are all silver certificates. I really can't tell you much more than that and I'm afraid I won't be able to post pictures until after I get home from work. I guess I just want to know what to look for to determine what asking price I should have.

Thanks!

A lot depends on what we see in the pictures, serial numbers, seal colours, and that all important grade.

The 1929 $10 sounds like some sort of a National Banknote, either one of the ones issued by the Federal Reserve Banks, or one of the National Banks.

The 1923 is likely a silver certificate, but there are also much scarcer "United States" notes that have a red seal on them and are worth a bit of a premium.

The 1899's are known as "Black Eagles" they were issued until 1917 when that new series came out.

Do you know the two signatures on each note? For example, the 1923 should have a signature combination of either "Speelman-White", "Woods-White", or "Woods-Tate". The first combination is very common. The second, uncommon. And the third is much rarer (but you could find a few examples at a big show).

The signature will most likely determine the value of these notes.

Also look for a letter following the 1929 date (like 1929A). Look for stars in the serial numbers.

Check out Heritage.com's auction archives to see how similarly graded notes of those type are doing.

1899 - Speelman-White

1899 - Houston Deebee? - Burke

1923 - Woods - White

$10 1929 - French? - Burkholz? ; Red seal/lettering, "Lafayette National Bank and Trust company of Luxemburg Missouri Will Pay to the Bearer on Demand Ten Dollars"

Sorry, still no pics - I'm using hubby's camera and even he doesn't know how to hook it up to the computer :ninja:

So... how do I sell mine for $200+? :ninja:

While we're packing for the move I'll see if I can't get DH to find a cable that connects the camera to the computer. I suppose I could use my camera phone, but you would just see a blurry greenish-blue rectangle.

1899 - Speelman-White

1899 - Houston Deebee? - Burke

1923 - Woods - White

$10 1929 - French? - Burkholz? ; Red seal/lettering, "Lafayette National Bank and Trust company of Luxemburg Missouri Will Pay to the Bearer on Demand Ten Dollars"

Sorry, still no pics - I'm using hubby's camera and even he doesn't know how to hook it up to the computer :ninja:

It's Houston Tehee! Interestingly, he was a Cherokee.

Here is a listing of all the signers with some photos of signatures that might help: http://www.uspapermoney.info/sign/all.html

Archived