CoinPeople.com

Current state of the coin market

thedeadpoint

The following paragraph is an excerpt of Lost Dutchman Rare Coin's May 2009 newsletter:

What should and shouldn't I buy right now?

Nice, no problem coins are still strong. Problem, cleaned coins are being heavily discounted. US government sets (mint, proof, ect.) are weak at the moment with most of them loosing ground. Lincoln cents are strong with the keys and semi keys holding their ground. Mercury dimes are having a hard time at the moment with common date mint state examples being heavily discounted. Gold type is strong as usual giving up little ground. Jefferson nickels and Franklin half dollars are markedly weak as are modern unc/proof album sets. High grade generic Morgans are falling off as well. Early American type is not loosing any strength.

Makes me wish I had money to spend!

Those are our friend LostDutchman's thoughts. I haven't been actively looking at coin/note prices for most of the past year, so I have no valuable input. What series/collecting areas do you see weakening in this economy? Which do you see as surprisingly robust? Which are strong as expected?

THis discussion is open to world coins and ancients too!

The gold market is strong, kinda like a "duh"

Gold will always be rock solid...

I'm seeing silver, morgans in general, SELLING CHEAP....

64's selling for 63 money...and 65's selling hundreds under or even at wholesale!

My gold indians are doing good..... The quarter eagle market is a good one at the moment, and I was surprised I got an AU58 near wholesale. (1911 for $253.50 including ship)

Mint/Proof sets... I say get the nicest proof set you can find.... Open it, put the coins in Mylar flips, send them into NGC and PCGS :ninja:

Do it with the franklin halves, and hope for PF68's or UCAM

I say if you can get a proof set, with a frankie, for $15 or less, and you have some free grading submissions, GO FOR IT

Now, I don't pay attention to the platinum market, so I don't know how it is doing...One of my good coin friends, buys quarter ounce platinum, PF and MS70, and gets great deals...

Platinum will never be as popular as gold, and soon, I don't know if it'll be worth more...Remember a few months back, platinum took a nose dive, and gold went up, and surpassed platinum...I see this happening again...

As long as you have coins to sell...You'll be alright...People want REAL MONEY...

Not this paper and clad crap, we get in change, and use everyday..This society needs to get back on track, using gold, silver, and copper, AS MONEY...And using paper, but having the precious metal to back it up!

I stand for the Norfed dollars ;)

Matt has a terrific feel for the market and his day-to-day contacts with buyers and sellers keep him updated.

I think Morgans have been over-inflated for quite a number of years. They are probably the most collected US coin after the Lincoln cent. The price adjustment for these coins would have happened eventually regardless of the economy.

Peace dollars other than keys seem to be taking the same path the Morgans are following.

IHC's other than 09-S and 1877 are falling a surprising amount in the VF/XF/MS grades.

I haven't seen the fall off that Matt's talking about for Jeffersons, but I haven't been watching this past year. Don't watch Frankies at all.

I think that in general proof sets and silver proof sets are a bargain, as are most Mint sets.

As I mentioned in another post I think Roosevelts are probably the most underrated US series.

Just my opinions based upon the very limited exposure that I have to these things.

I agree that Gold eventually will catch Platinum, There will always be more demand for Gold. I also agree that Roosevelt Dimes are undervalued....especially high grade MS pieces with FT designation, has anyone ever looked up the combined PCGS and NGC pop. reports for 1949 thru 1964 in full torch? In some cases only a hand full of gem pieces exist(not to say the pop. reports wont increase...but who knows?).

My picks for 'most underrated/undervalued' would be the Seated Lib. Quarter's and Half Dollars from 1879 to 1890. Not only are the mintages extremely small, but the pop. reports reflect the small numbers... PCGS's are minuscule and NGC's are not even half of that. For years the conventional wisdom was that even though the mintages were small, people must have saved them or banks simply stored them and that many MS coins had survived. We now know better...in fact, for most of those dates the pop. reports show that more proof specimens exist from that era than business strikes. I think its only a matter of time before they get their just due.

Archived