CoinPeople.com

U.S.S. California Launching Medal

961446.jpg

Brass, 36mm R-6

A rare so-called dollar usually encountered with some kind of problem such as that visible here. The Native Sons of the Golden West (N.S.G.W.) issued the medal at the launching of the U.S.S. California in San Francisco on April 28, 1904. Hibler and Kappen note the medals were apparently distributed to members and guests and were not sold. They are listed in brass and copper and some pieces (including this one?) some some traces of gilt. While the ship saw some action, her crew was involved in a incident in Mexico when two crew members were killed during a drunken brawl while on shore leave in 1913. In 1914, she was renamed the USS San Diego. In World War I, she was sunk by a German mine off the coast of New York, the only US ship lost in the war.

800px-USS_California_1907_LOC_npcc_32729.jpg

1907 photograph.

The US Navy then commissioned a battleship named USS California during the 1920's, I actually have some postmarks from that ship somewhere. The second USS California was sunk at Pearl Harbor in December 1941, but was refloated and served through the end of the war.

• 4 weeks later...

962725.jpg

I acquired another example of this medal in better condition. I believe the obverse is a second die based on die breaks in different locations on both. It is sitting in my stack for closer examination one of these days.

I acquired another example of this medal in better condition. I believe the obverse is a second die based on die breaks in different locations on both. It is sitting in my stack for closer examination one of these days.

Before I saw what you wrote, I was wondering if the designs differed across dies/issues. I've seen the same Eureka imagery on many of your California Exposition medals but I don't want to assume its the exact same design.

The Eureka design is based on the California state seal, so each are a particular diesinker's interpretation of the seal. In this instance, the two medals have die cracks on the state seal side, around 7-8 o'clock on the first and 2-3 o'clock on the second. The second E in Eureka is repunched over a misplaced star on the second, but I will need to do a more careful study of the first to see if this same error is present since a chunk of corrosion falls into that area on the first. I'll need to play with light or consider if I can safely remove some of the corrosion to make the comparison. In either event, die cracks don't come and go, so they are likely different dies.

• 1 year later...

The keel for the second USS California was laid at Mare Island in October 1916. She was commissioned in 1919 and became the flagship of the Pacific Fleet. She was sunk in Pearl Harbor and the salvaged and rebuilt. She was decommissioned in 1947. A watch fob from the commissioning ceremony:

990906.jpg

Archived