CoinPeople.com

New to the coin World

SethWestmore

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the world of coins. With the passing of my Grandfather and Uncle I was left a bunch. I was wondering if you had any advice for me. And if at all possible could you tell me of the value of my coins. These are just a very few of them. Some of my favorites.

img005.jpg - Front

img006.jpg - Back

I thank you all in advance for any help you can supply me with. If you want to see any others please let me know the are a plethora of them.

-Seth

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the world of coins. With the passing of my Grandfather and Uncle I was left a bunch. I was wondering if you had any advice for me. And if at all possible could you tell me of the value of my coins. These are just a very few of them. Some of my favorites.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/set...rent=img005.jpg - Front

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/set...rent=img006.jpg - Back

I thank you all in advance for any help you can supply me with. If you want to see any others please let me know the are a plethora of them.

-Seth

Welcome to CoinPeople, Seth! ;)

It's very hard to give any advice here, except that if I were you, I would keep all of the coins and use that as a base to start collecting on your own. At any rate, they must have great sentimental value for you. This is exactly how I got started collecting, and I never sold any of my Dad's coins.

If you'd rather sell them, I have to say that these are all very common dates (unless there is a "CC" mint mark on the back of that 1878 Morgan dollar, for example). The condition is also not so great considering that even in brilliant uncirculated condition ("BU" in coin collector-speak), these are all very easy to find and just about every coin dealer out there probably has a few rolls of BU 1921 Morgan dollars lying around in their shop waiting for a buyer...

There is also the slight possibility that some of your Morgan and Peace dollars are of an interesting variety (known as "VAM"). Without seeing the reverse, though, we can't tell if the 1878 eagle has 7, 8 or perhaps 7/8 tailfeathers ... in which case it might be worth more. After I got interested in Morgan and Peace varieties and bought the "VAM Book", I discovered that some of my Dad's old coins actually had some very interesting die varieties.

Got any Indian Head cents? Large cents? Buffalo nickels? Seated liberty dimes? Two- or three-cent pieces? :ninja: Would love to see some if you do...

Good luck!

Hey Everyone.

I do know some about coins mint mark and such. I don't know much more than that. I do Have a bunch of other coins when I get a chance I will try too scan them all. I have walking liberties and buffalo nickles. Some world coins.

You can click the black band on top of my pictures here. It should bring you to a very clear zoom of them you can zoom in even further with another click on the picture.

The coins front and back are in the same position so you can easily match what front matches what back. If that makes sense.

Anything you can tell me about these would be great. And any thing you can tell me about other coins. As to what to look for would be great.

-Seth

Since you did mention you are new to coins. Just a normal requisite warning. Don't clean, scrub, goof with or anything that might change the looks of the coins. Cleaning can lower the value of the coins. As to what Dooly said I second that. Vamworld is the spot to check. Even common year/mint dollars can be sleepers. I don't know how much time you have or want to invest in checking them out, but if you want get a magnifying glass or loupe and you can do some quick checks for abnormalities. The top left 1882 seems to be a slanted date. But I really can't tell more. If you do a couple quick things to look for any sign of doubling around year or mint mark. BTW the 1878 has a ton of variations of dies. Any one you spot that may match I'd suggest you take a individual close up and drop it over in the errors forum and see if some thing turns up.

BTW some how your reverse images got flipped.

flip.jpg

Never seen an 8781 Morgan Dollar before. :ninja:

As Mark said, please realize that any form of cleaning will lower the value of the coins.

Some of us here would love to see your world coins when you get around to scanning them. There are numerous experts here and we can identify almost anything.

Welcome to CP!

Since you did mention you are new to coins. Just a normal requisite warning. Don't clean, scrub, goof with or anything that might change the looks of the coins. Cleaning can lower the value of the coins. As to what Dooly said I second that. Vamworld is the spot to check.

flip.jpg

Never seen an 8781 Morgan Dollar before. ;)

What you haven't heard about the future Morgans that will be produced in the year 8781?

Or could that be the 8th month, 7th day, of 1981?

Might be the 8,781 first Morgan Dollar minted you know.

See lots of other explanations than a reversed photo. :ninja:

Me too with the WELCOME.

I suggest you first acquire a copy of the Red Book. Almost any edition is OK for general information since the values and prices listed are a joke. If a newer edition the prices are about 25% over reality. That book is great for general inforamtion. The 2009 edition is presently out and the 2010 is to be released April 7, 2009. They are available at almost many book stores, Amazon on the internet, coin stores, coin shows, etc. I haven't looked lately but I used to ger mine from the Walmart Book web site. Learn what you have before you do anything.

Archived