CoinPeople.com

Taking the plunge

In 1977, as a nine year old boy, I found an 1873 halfpenny in a stream. It was green and smooth but just legible. I still have it, of course. I gradually built up a British pre-decimal collection, but had still never sold a coin till 2004. Even then, I had no duplicates, so tried to sell my worst coins to finance buying better ones. That doesn't work, of course, and was never going to. So the Pwincess came up with a brainwave - why not buy better examples of the coins you've already got, and then sell the worst? Brilliant. You can see who's got the business head - I'm just a coinie, what do I know?

So, tentative steps at first - started selling on eBay (I know, I know, but nothing touches it for exposure), set up an eBay shop, started paying a few bills with PayPal, started cutting down on the amount of time we had to spend labouring for money (I mean really labouring - farm work, building sites, etc), and now here's the thing - in a couple of weeks we're going to live in an old bus and really try to survive on this hobby that started with that 1873 halfpenny.

Can it be done? We'll keep you posted - it's a brave experiment...

Archived