CoinPeople.com

A few questions convienantly located in one long-titled thread.

Mo!

How can I identify a copper penny from a normal one? On that note, how do i know if a nickel is silver? (I check the edges of quarters and dimes for a ring of brown)

Is there a way to polish/clean my coins before i put them in my 2X2 stapled folds, without buying special coin cleaning chemicals?

If yes, is it a good idea to do so?

Are all 1964 Quarters silver?(Which has been my experience so far.)

Are most/all mercury dimes silver?

Any or all answers are appriciated!

How can I identify a copper penny from a normal one? I believe if you weigh it it will weigh 3.1 grams. Pre 1982 are copper but some 1982 are copper also.

On that note, how do i know if a nickel is silver? 1942 - 1945 are silver

Is there a way to polish/clean my coins before i put them in my 2X2 stapled folds, without buying special coin cleaning chemicals? cleaning is almost always a no no! It leaves scratches and can completely obliterate the value of the coin beyond its melt value.

If yes, is it a good idea to do so? NO!!!

Are all 1964 Quarters silver?(Which has been my experience so far.)! Yes, any 1964 and prior are silver. I don't believe there is an exception beyond errors.

Are most/all mercury dimes silver? All are silver.

Any or all answers are appriciated! Quite welcome sir!

Kristofer, while our parents may not agree on the speeling of our names, YOU ROCK!

However, isn't there an easier way to identify a copper penny? Like, by visual means?

Well it all depends on your goal. Numismatically you should collect the pretty and important ones, and metal investor collect the copper. Recently copper experienced a big boom sending cents to a value of about 2 cents. But the market has since cooled and I believe copper cents are worth 1 cent now. But I have a couple rolls of all coppers. I do coin collecting as well as metal collecting too. That's why my website focuses on Silver coins specifically because it's the perfect balance between my two interests. Do what you love and love what you do.

Archived