CoinPeople.com

Deformed(?) Indian Penny

Mo!

I don't know if this is a printing defect, or somthing caused in circulation. Sadly the date id completely eradicated.

2igk68k.jpg

54ccw0.jpg

To me, it looks like sombody tried to drill a hole in it, failed, and then attempted to melt a peice of copper into the hole to "repair" it. But who would be stupid enough to do that...

P.S. The picture is warped for some reason making the coin appear ovular. It's round.

I don't know if this is a printing defect, or somthing caused in circulation. Sadly the date id completely eradicated.

2igk68k.jpg

54ccw0.jpg

To me, it looks like sombody tried to drill a hole in it, failed, and then attempted to melt a peice of copper into the hole to "repair" it. But who would be stupid enough to do that...

P.S. The picture is warped for some reason making the coin appear ovular. It's round.

Hard to tell exactly with such small pictures ... but I'd guess it was a repaired/plugged hole. It's quite commonly found on all sorts of coins, actually. People used to put a hole in a coin and nail it to the wall as a good luck charm. At some point, the coin becomes collectible, and the damage is repaired (or an attempt is made).

Awwww. Value depleated? (not that i would sell it)

Yep, it's considered a cull at this point. However, you can get some fairly decent looking Indian head pennies from most dealers for less than $2.00. Ones from the early 1900's in high XF-AU can be had for less than $10 from my experience. I've purchased ChBU red Indian heads from the 1890's for less than $45...so depending on your income and interest in the series, with a small investment you can come away with some killer coins.

Good luck! :ninja:

Yep, it's considered a cull at this point. However, you can get some fairly decent looking Indian head pennies from most dealers for less than $2.00. Ones from the early 1900's in high XF-AU can be had for less than $10 from my experience. I've purchased ChBU red Indian heads from the 1890's for less than $45...so depending on your income and interest in the series, with a small investment you can come away with some killer coins.

Good luck! :ninja:

I don't know what any of those things mean.....

A Cull is a coin that lacks a date or is damaged and brings very little premium, most Indian Head penny Culls are worth less than $0.50. Xf means Extra-Fine and is a term used to denote a coins condition. Au means About Uncirculated, which is also used to denote a coins condition, in this case Uncirculated means it has never been placed into circulation, or has been removed from it before obvious wear has occured. ChBU means Choice Brilliant Uncirculated, this means never touched by greasy human fingers and never placed into circulation.

Coin grades range from 1-70 on a numerical scale.

Poor-1

Fair-2

Good-4

Very Good- 6-8

Fine- 10-15

Very Fine- 20-25

Extra Fine- 40-45

About Uncirculated- 50-58

Uncirculated 60-70 (Mint State, as in the state it was in when it left the mint)

Please feel free to ask more questions, we are here to help! :ninja:

I don't know what any of those things mean.....

As already noted those abbreviations are terminologies used to describe how use a coin has been . The more a coin gets used, the more worn out it appears. The higher details slowly get worn away. As the coin gets worn, people that collect coins have words to describe them. So in other words a coin that has very little or no wear would be called Uncirculated meaning not in circulation or very little. Each name is sort of self explanatory, however, in some instances a bit confusing.

For example when someone says that coin is in G-4 condition it really means excessively worn but the important details are still noticable such as the date.

At times you'll see a coin with a grade of F-12 and say to yourself that thing is really worn. I know this is confusing and it is just one of the things with coins that has to be lived with. Not sure how it all got started but way, way back a company called Whitman came out with a book called the Red Book. In it they had similar names for coins. Might have been them that started this stuff.

Archived