CoinPeople.com

Scottish Agricultural Medal 1875

IMG_2064_edited.jpg

IMG_2067_edited.jpg

Medal by Alexander Kirkwood & Son Edinburgh (still in business) Silver 30mm

Obv: Scotia with shield of St Andrew sits above & places laurel crowns on two agricultural labourers, one dressed in a kilt and sporran.

Rev: HIGHLAND AND AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY OF SCOTLAND. Inst. MDCCLXXXIV. TO ROBERT CROW ABBEY ST. BATHANS FOR PLOUGHING 1875.

I have traced a Robert Crow (who might be the one named on the medal) in the 1881 census aged 45, farm labourer living a few miles north of where the competition took place, so he would have been 39 in 1875. He was born a few miles south of Abbey St. Bathan in 1836. He had a wife, 5 daughters & a son.

To qualify for the medal;

There had to be at least 12 ploughs in competition and at least 3 pounds awarded in premiums and you had to be the best ploughman.

Ditto what Ian said, Constanius. The history's the best part. But one question: how does one win a plowing contest? The right combination of depth, speed and consistency? Does everyone line up with a starting gun? Does the horse get any credit? Inquiring minds want to know... :ninja:

Ditto what Ian said, Constanius. The history's the best part. But one question: how does one win a plowing contest? The right combination of depth, speed and consistency? Does everyone line up with a starting gun? Does the horse get any credit? Inquiring minds want to know... :ninja:

Rules of competition # 7. Ploughmen shall not be allowed any assistance, and their work must not be set up nor touched by others; on land of average tenacity the ploughing should be at the rate of an imperial acre in ten hours, and attention should be given to the firmness and sufficiency of the work below, more than to its neatness above the surface.

You are spot on with "The right combination of depth, speed and consistency" the rate of speed was stipulated (acre/10 hours) so I guess if you were slower that would count against your score. I would guess the competitors all started at the same time, but don't know for sure. The horse only got a carrot and some oats, I assume.

Archived