CoinPeople.com

My latest acquisition...

It is my first medal from the US Mint. It is a 3 inch bronze copy of the Congressional Gold Medal that Dr. Michael Ellis DeBakey, M.D. received. One of the reasons I wanted it, was because Dr. Debakey physically in person gave my sister her Doctor of Medicine M.D. degree during the graduation ceremony when she graduated from the Baylor Medical School in Houston, TX some years ago. It was designed and engraved by Don Everhart. I will get it in a couple weeks, and will let you know what i think of it when I receive it. There is a good bio of Dr. DeBakey here....

http://myhero.com/myhero/hero.asp?hero=michael_debakey

Interesting to see that he developed the M.A.S.H. concept for military health care according to that bio web site.

DebakeyMedalO.jpg

DebakeyMedalR.jpg

The Mint Medals are super. I have some of the 1" Presidential and other medals. They're nicely done. Want to get a nice album for them. Haven't reaearched it yet.

The amazing thing about Dr Debakey is that a few years before his death he suffered a type of heart attack that used almost always to kill its victims --a torn artery. But because he himself had pioneered surgery techniques for exactly this condition, he was treated and lived.

Well, i got the US Mint medal....and it has a nick at the edge along with some discoloration on the edge near where the nick is also. I returned it asking for a new replacement. Other than the nick etc, it is a nice medal....I do wish that it had some "toning" to it, but it is still nice. I hope the 2nd one does not have a nick in it anywhere.

Archived