CoinPeople.com

Modern gold sovereigns - Worth a punt?

hertfordian

What do people think about modern gold sovereigns from the Royal Mint ?

Given that the current economic situation is so volatile, I'm thinking of putting some "spare" cash into getting a new sovereign each month for the next few months and keeping these as both a numismatic item but also as a "safety net", in case the economy really does start to go south in a big way and sterling ends up trucking....

At £170 per coin, the Mint's pricing seems broadly in line with dealers and similar coins that one sees on eBay so what do others think? Worth the risk or not?

Views gratefully received

Hertfordian

When looking at gold or silver coins as stores of value, I've always tried to get items that hold some numismatic value. For a long time you could but US Half dollars at about melt. So if you trusted silver - a decent bet.

Gold has had similar good buys but I don't know about stuff directly from the Mint. US Mint stuff usually carries way too high a premium to produce any profit of a bullion nature in the short run.

I wouldn't pay the premiums on gold now. I have bought a few sundry items that come up here and tither whence they haven't a premium - but most of late are selling egregiously more than they are worth. Gold is in a holding pattern pricewise, a good thing when you look at where it is compared to every other PM and industrial metal. Frankly the time to have gotten in gold have passed, the best buying was about 3 years ago now.

One of the guys from the local club picked up a bunch of mexican gold at FUN at no premium over melt. Seems like a good deal. He's been doing business with the seller for over 25 years.

Archived