CoinPeople.com

Another reason collecting coins is fun

Dan769

In getting ready for the FUN show, I was going thru my U.S. type set, confirming what I need and looking at possible upgrades.

I always check mintages when I get a coin, try to stay away from the more common dates when possible. By looking at my red book when doing this, I checked my bust dime from 1833 and realized that I have the more valuable "high last 3" variety worth about double the standard 1833 dime. I'm not a variety guy by any means, and it wasn't sold to me that way either, but it is kinda cool when that happens. :ninja:

That's a very pleasant surprise. It pays to review things, especially when you get surprises like this.

I'll admit I'm a HUGE slacker when it comes to looking for things like that. I probably have a few repunched mintmarks in the tons of wheaties and old Jefferson I've accumilated over the years.

I also did find out that I have a "spiked breast" VAM on my 1884-CC Morgan.

I also did find out that I have a "spiked breast" VAM on my 1884-CC Morgan.

hahaha. So that explains your new avatar :ninja:

But on a related note to the thread, I bought a nice note a few months ago at my last show. I got home to check my books and found out its much rarer than I thought. I was pleasantly surprised.

Archived