CoinPeople.com

Need a bit of help.

Jan

Here's the story.

I've had my eyes open for a 1926 Far 6 nickel. It's for my dad. The only Canadian nickel he is missing(around 1920 till now). I saw a decent price on ebay from a seller that looked trustworthy(He was selling other coins worth well over $2000 and had 5000+ positive feedback rating), so I went ahead and bought it. Well I just received it today.

I have a decent collection of coins of myself but I'm not a great expert or anything. And I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

The first set set of pictures is the new coin I got from the seller on ebay and it is supposed to be a FAR 6 nickel. But the tail of the 6 looks rather close to the leaf or is that not how to determine it. I don't really know. Can anyone tell me if this for sure a FAR 6 nickel??

IMG_5288.jpg

IMG_5289.jpg

IMG_5290.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg

The seconds set of picks is the coin that my father bought when he was younger. It was sold to him as a NEAR 6 Nickel. But the tail of the six looks like it's sort of scratched off and I'm not sure if he ever looked closely at it. I haven't mentioned to him yet because I didn't give him the new coin yet(it's a surprise). : ) Can anyone tell me if this is really a NEAR 6 nickel?? : S

IMG_5295.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

IMG_5293.jpg

IMG_5296.jpg

IMG_5298.jpg

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. I just want to know if I have the coins that I think I have.

First set of pics: Is it really a FAR 6?

Second set of pics: Is it really a NEAR 6?

From the Charlton book the one you purchases certainly looks like a far six. The coin currently in your Dad's collection does look like someone scrapped off the end of the six. (Far and Near are relative to the maple leaf and so seeing both id'd by an expert would be nice. Don't have pics like that. Sorry.)

I am by no means an expert, but I specialize in Canadian pennies and nickels. The first coin is definitely a far 6. On the near 6 variety, the top tail of the 6 is nearly touching the maple leaf.

The second photo seems to be a near 6 with the tail scraped off poorly to make it try to pass as a far 6.

can5cen1926n6.jpgcan5cen1926f6.jpg

The 1926 5 cent comes in two varieties with respect to the position of the 6 in the date. On the variety known as the near 6, the six is rotated slightly so that the tip of the 6 is closer to the maple leaf, and the bottom is farther from the rim. Likewise, on the far 6 variety the tip of the 6 is slightly farther from the maple leaf, and the bottom is slightly closer to the rim of the coin. It is important to look at the spacing from the rim, as well as from the maple leaf, because some people have tried to turn a near six into a far six by shaving down the tip, but they cannot add metal to make the bottom nearer to the rim. Also the 6 in the far 6 is closer to the 2.

Archived