CoinPeople.com

Autheniticity of a Novodel?

alexbq2

Here are a few of the images that illustrate that article:

Alex, thank you so much for the translation.

In looking at your coin again, and comparing to the Uzdenikov illustrations (similar to Brekke 146), the numerals in the date of your coin are different: the bottoms of the "1" and the "7" look different from the Uzdenikov picture (Uzdenikov and Brekke 146 are the same). There may be other slight differences also, but it's hard to compare to your coin since it's so darkly stained (perhaps on purpose?). To me at least, it doesn't seem to be a genuine novodel if you believe the numeral evidence. Also, the beading around the border doesn't seem quite the same.

Marv Finnley

Alex, thank you so much for the translation.

In looking at your coin again, and comparing to the Uzdenikov illustrations (similar to Brekke 146), the numerals in the date of your coin are different: the bottoms of the "1" and the "7" look different from the Uzdenikov picture (Uzdenikov and Brekke 146 are the same). There may be other slight differences also, but it's hard to compare to your coin since it's so darkly stained (perhaps on purpose?). To me at least, it doesn't seem to be a genuine novodel if you believe the numeral evidence. Also, the beading around the border doesn't seem quite the same.

Marv Finnley

Thank you for your input. I do see some minor differences between my coin and the illustrations. My overall impression is still positive (but I am biased). As per Mr. Julian there were several dies created for this Novodel. Ilyin values it at 3 roubles, so it is not terribly rare - thus attainable.

I have found a very nice site, it is I'm afraid in russian, lots of great images though!

http://www.monros.ru/index.php?categoryID=54&offset=30

Modern chinese souvenir. :ninja: They are appearing in a slitely better quality now. All i can personally confirm - seeing a bucket of russian copper fakes like that in Vancouver.

The good thing is that Ebay removed a few 10 kopeks peaces with the same appearance several times very quickly to my disbelive... They miss this one I guess...

This one is still relatively easy to spot. It has nothing to do with novodels or coins.

Modern chinese souvenir. :ninja: They are appearing in a slitely better quality now. All i can personally confirm - seeing a bucket of russian copper fakes like that in Vancouver.

The good thing is that Ebay removed a few 10 kopeks peaces with the same appearance several times very quickly to my disbelive... They miss this one I guess...

This one is still relatively easy to spot. It has nothing to do with novodels or coins.

Interesting information. The good thing about Chinese fakes is that they make a lot of them. If I see a busload on ebay in the next few months I'll have something to cry over.

Archived