CoinPeople.com

American Banknotes

Johnny 1989

No, old designs are not deliberately removed from circulation, though as they age, they would be removed and replaced when worn by the regional Federal Reserve Banks. That said, all currency issued by the US remain legal tender at their face value, including issues from the first series of United States Notes and Treasury Notes from the 1860s (though you'd have to be an idiot to spend them at face value). Still, it's not uncommon to see the old-style notes still circulating, I received a series 1990 $20 note and a series 1990 $50 note in circulation within the last 2 months.

No, old designs are not deliberately removed from circulation, though as they age, they would be removed and replaced when worn by the regional Federal Reserve Banks. That said, all currency issued by the US remain legal tender at their face value, including issues from the first series of United States Notes and Treasury Notes from the 1860s (though you'd have to be an idiot to spend them at face value). Still, it's not uncommon to see the old-style notes still circulating, I received a series 1990 $20 note and a series 1990 $50 note in circulation within the last 2 months.

Ah I see, I already own a £20 from the 1993 Series, so I should be able to get hold of a $50 quite easily then?

Yes, it shouldn't be a problem, you might also ask around here since there are probably a lot of folks with extras that would help you out in your collecting. Heck, I have an extra old-style $50 on my desk that I would let you have for face plus shipping.

Yes, it shouldn't be a problem, you might also ask around here since there are probably a lot of folks with extras that would help you out in your collecting. Heck, I have an extra old-style $50 on my desk that I would let you have for face plus shipping.

I may take you up on that offer, once I get paied next week :ninja:

I got one of those new Canadian Notes today ($5, got the $20 last week, yet to scan it) & also the new USA $5 note, have to say I rather like the multicoloured notes, a vast improvement over the previous series (not the design that lasted for about 50-60 years) the ones issued from the mid-late 90's until mid 2000's:

921604A.jpg

921604B.jpg

Archived