CoinPeople.com

Never saw such a ridiculous auction

savok

I am not sure if your coin has the re-cut E. I can not see it too well in your picture, but the spacing suggests too much room there. The re-cut E should be very skinny.

Well, I haven't seen too many of these, so...

My understanding is the 'I' was widened on the die (I guess the spacing allowed for this), and once the coin was struck the 'I' was cut into an 'E' right on the coin.

Either way KD mint was not suppose to have the KOPEEK spelling (IMHO)

There is apparently an article by Hramenkov and Evdokimov "Fake 1727 Pyataks of foreign minting". If anyone has any knowledge of it, please point out where I could find this article.

There is apparently an article by Hramenkov and Evdokimov "Fake 1727 Pyataks of foreign minting". If anyone has any knowledge of it, please point out where I could find this article.

I checked my bookshelf and found the article by Hramenkov in December 2003 issue of Antikvariat magazine. I believe Antikvariat is published by uuu.ru people. The article mentioned by you must be an update. I think I've seen it, but do not recall where.

In any case, based on the 2003 article you are correct and your coin is a fake from that time, as according to the mentioned in the article survey taken in 1738 from the mint engravers, there were no official dies in 1727 with spelling "KOPEEK". But the pictures in the article have the skinny E I was talking about in the earlier post.

Possibly someone will tell us where and when the latest article was published.

Here is "KOPEIK" coin:

1727c1rv6.th.jpg

1727c2xs2.th.jpg

I checked my bookshelf and found the article by Hramenkov in December 2003 issue of Antikvariat magazine. I believe Antikvariat is published by uuu.ru people. The article mentioned by you must be an update. I think I've seen it, but do not recall where.

In any case, based on the 2003 article you are correct and your coin is a fake from that time, as according to the mentioned in the article survey taken in 1738 from the mint engravers, there were no official dies in 1727 with spelling "KOPEEK". But the pictures in the article have the skinny E I was talking about in the earlier post.

Possibly someone will tell us where and when the latest article was published.

Thank you for the info, maybe I'll find that article online.

I'm still curious about Mike Shaver's 1727 MD with ПЯТЬКОПЕЯКЬ (thanks Nordic gold) spelling? I haven't found any mention of this in catalogs.

Archived